Gamesparks and timer module update

Hi, using gamesparks cause errors due to the usage of the old timer.seconds() function. It can be easily changed, but I don’t know who should I ask to fix this. Should I ask gamesparks’s team?

This function is from my old timer extension. When we released an official timer that was part of the Defold engine it was also given the module namespace timer which conflicted with mine. I see that there is a PR to fix this: https://bitbucket.org/gamesparks/gamesparks-defold/pull-requests/2/change-timer-to-delay-as-the-extension/diff

The best solution would be if Gamesparks dropped the use of my timer extension completely and used the official native Defold timer.

You have a few options:

1. Fork the repository and make the change yourself
  2. Add a timer.seconds() function yourself and forward calls to that function to either my native extension timer (delay.seconds) or the internal Defold timer (timer.delay):

Add this to a script early on in your code:

timer.seconds = function(seconds, fn)
	return timer.delay(seconds, true, fn)
end
1 Like

Ups, I didn’t notice that PR. For the moment I’ll use your second option, I’ll ask to gamesparks’s team to just pull it, since it has already been done… Thanks four your respose. I will update you here on the pull.

1 Like

After some day I reported the issue to gamesparks development team I noticed a little problem. The repo of the extension was deleted. I thought they were fixing the problem and for some reason found some errors and decided to delete the repo momentarily, but just to be sure I asked again to the team. They answered that they decided to remove the support to Defold.
Well, it seems like I remembered them that they had support for Defold and in the amazement they deleted it. :sweat_smile:
It’s time to look for another multiplayer service with a similiar pricing option and compatible with Defold.:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Maybe PlayFab is something you could try?

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s an expensive option with a very limited free one that is used only for testing purpose.

1 Like

That is, hmm, not sure what to say really…

Doesn’t Gamesparks have an API definition so that the actual engine/language specific code could be generated and the cost of maintaining would be close to zero? That is how the Steamworks extension for Defold is created. And the PlayFab extension. And the AWS SDK for Lua and Defold. Basically any client-server solution should have the API defined in a way that the client (and server) code for sending and receiving API requests could be auto-generated

5 Likes

I second using PlayFab. The free tier does not seem limited in my experience. You largely miss out on having tasks, more advanced analytics, etc.

2 Likes

Well, except playfab there is no other decent similiar cheap services, or atleast I haven’t found them. Maybe the only option is to just use the old repo and update it manually if there is a big update in gamesparks backend. My colleague forked the repo and fixed the timer problem if someone is intersted we’ll try to update it if necessary.

3 Likes