Game stutters when not in fullscreen

I’m experiencing regular periodic stuttering when running my game not in fullscreen. I’m using the orthographic camera from britzl, parented to my player with a moderate lerp value. It seems to be happening only during horizontal movement. Changing settings in the project file does not seem to affect it. Has anyone experienced this and know how to fix it?

This is with fullscreen off:

And the issue disappears when in fullscreen:

Please test enabling Engine -> Run While Iconified within the game.project file and see if it has any impact for you.

After that try forcing enabling vsync within the control panel of your graphics card. Bundle the game as release, run it before to test. Then find the exe and set it to always use vsync and see what happens.

This didn’t do anything, and the issue isn’t happening when I run the bundled application at a resolution that fits the screen, although I did get some weird behaviour when the window was the same as my monitor resolution causing it to span more than one screen - some weird kind of “pixel wobble” that stabilized after a few seconds, but that’s beside the point I think.

So it’s something specific to building with F5, I thought - so I tried Debug >> Detach Debugger and that solved the problem with the F5 build. It would be nice to understand the possible reasons for this, can anyone explain how it all works and what it could be?

Debug builds always have more going on and overhead that can cause stutter. If the release bundle works well that’s what matters. In this case, sounds like the debugger is periodically causing stutter for you in your game.

although I did get some weird behaviour when the window was the same as my monitor resolution causing it to span more than one screen - some weird kind of “pixel wobble” that stabilized after a few seconds

If your shaders don’t use highp changing that could solve this if you cared to.