Fmod for switch support?

Hello, I am wondering if fmod (the one mentioned in extensions) is capable of working on the switch right away, or do I need to do some modifications to it? My game heavily relies on sound and music, and fmod is perfect for it.
This may sound like a stupid question, but am still a beginner… So yeah :slight_smile: thanks

2 Likes

Yes, there is a switch version of defold-fmod. It’s maintained by @dapetcu21, and it’s also under the Nintendo NDA, so you’ll need to be an approved Nintendo Developer to get access.

As for functionality, yes, it works in the same fashion as it does for the other platforms.

2 Likes

Okay thank you so much

It is probably worth noting that if you are a beginner it is going to be VERY difficult to get your game published on Switch. As the man Mathias has commented, you’re going to need to be an approved nintendo developer to get access and that means you need to have a few games published (or work with a publisher)

2 Likes

I do know that, I am not mainly focused on publishing my game to the switch right away, it will be released on windows and mac, and based on that I might publish it on switch if it becomes successful, I have been told nintendo (and sony for ps4) might approve you if your game is successful on other platforms.
I am just asking because I want to make sure my game will work properly whenever I want to release it on switch without facing a lot of problems

3 Likes

Not necessarily. We managed to get Switch access before getting a publisher and with no other games released, but you need to have something to show to the Nintendo people (a game to pitch to them, preferably late-stage in development). The best way to talk to them is at game conventions. If you’re an exhibitor (there are lots of opportunities for indies to go to conventions as exhibitors. look for your local branch of EGDF, for example), you can try arranging a meeting with them on the convention’s meet-to-match platform.

1 Like