Fetching engine step missing, no launch

Hi there,
I am just working on a project that uses the DefOS extension, saved my code and build. Out of the blue, there is no engine fetching and therefore no launch. Rebuilding does not help.
So I removed DefOS from the dependencies, deleted the .internal folder and the build folder. Still no engine fetching and no launch. Next, I started a new empty project, checked that it launches and copied my files (apart from the old game.project) into it. Again: no fetching, no launch.
The project is quite doomed, something seems seriously corrupted somewhere.
This has happened before in projects with DefOS and never with a project that does not use extensions.
Does anyone here have the same issue? What could be happening? Quite possibly, I did something wrong but I just have no idea what it might be.
Heeeeeeelp!

EDIT:
I have just copied the whole project folder and started the project from there. Now launching works again and I can marvel at my work. But still nothing to see when I build the project in the old project folder. How strange is this then? Why would this be?

ANOTHER EDIT:
now, it gets even weirder: the old project started to work again. I am really confused now.
I swear, I did absolutely nothing, just worked on some other projects before trying again with the seemingly doomed project.

Please check Defold’s logs and see if anything is obviously going wrong there.

Help → Show Logs

You might also want to check the health of your HDD/SSD. I’ve had really weird things happen when a drive was on the verge of failing.

2 Likes

Hello @Pkeod,

You are great!
I ran chkdsk on Win10 that didn’t report anything. But Manjaro did:
My c: drive, that houses Win 10:

I guess, I should get a new disk, shouldn’t I?

Stupidly enough, I have permanently deleted the misbehaving project file.
But there are warnings in the logfile from other projects using DefOS (these projects are launching fine). I have attached the file.
log.zip (2.3 KB)

I made some screenshots from the misbehaving project that might be interesting:
After I had removed DefOS and tried to add it again, the path was not saved:

Then, when opening the project again:

So I opened the game.project file with a text editor and manually replaced the wrong line:
dependency with the correct one.
DefOS was added to the project, launching didn’t work though.

Anyway:
I am eternally grateful that you have quite probably saved me from losing my data. I would never have thought about a problem with my disks myself. Thank you so much!

Brigitte

1 Like