Facebook and Ads

As things look right now the plans are to have it ready by the end of Q2 this year.

3 Likes

@sicher
What is planned for Q2 then? Are we talking about an integrated ad-network of your choice or a more general ad solution, with possible integrations of more networks? Monetizing with ads is a world in itselfā€¦

The design is not done so I canā€™t really say.

1 Like

There must be a way for developers to make custom extensions.
Waiting for you guys is desperate.
Sorry, a great engine must be open enough so we can do anything we want with it.
Otherwise it is just useless.

2 Likes

Custom extensions will happen at some point but itā€™s most likely pretty far into the future.

1 Like

I know it will sound as a pretty bad solution for you, since you as a developer want Defold to be an elegant and cool engine. Probably you could provide some messy low level support for extension for savvy developers until you make a better solution? (even not cross platform would do)

Defold looks like a great engine, and I do want to use it. But without ability to show ads at least, it feels unreasonable to use Defold for serious game making.

Itā€™s technically already possible to extend Defold yourself if you really need to, but obviously very ugly and not at all supported or documented.

But I agree ads are important for monetization. Not everything works well with premium or IAP. Supporting as many networks as possible is a good idea, at least the highest grossing/popular ones right now.

AdColony
Supersonic
AppLovin
HeyZap
Chartboost
Fyber
InMobi
Flurry - now Yahoo

3 Likes

Could you point me in the right direction of how Defold can be extended? (say to add Admob to iOS, or any ugly extending)

Look at how Defold builds its projects. It would be a last resort than to wait for now, but based on the technology it shows if you absolutely canā€™t wait you can modify things. Building your game first would be a better use of your time, and then keep your interest of options or displaying ads known.

4 Likes

Thanks. I think I see what you mean. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s legal with the Defold license agreement though.

As for the making game first itā€™s a great suggestion. Unfortunately we have a strict deadline to release a Ketchapp-style game and we have a working prototype on another engine already. I wanted to try Defold until I hit the wall with the ads issue.

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s legal with the Defold license agreement though.

I just read through it paying attention to that and didnā€™t see anything that would cause that. Basically, change things at your risk, and itā€™s not supported or guaranteed.

since itā€™s almost the end of Q2 can we get any update on the integration of ads into the game?

1 Like

We are working on it as itā€™s a very big demand. So far we have an initial test of native extensions, which is a requirement for ads.

11 Likes

Sorry to be bothering with the ads question since you probably get it alot, but Iā€™ve been planning on making a mobile game and the Defold Engine would greatly benefit the making of it, but it is of course a problem that it currently does not support ad revenue.

Do you think that ad support will be integrated by the end of the summer or beginning of fall, or will it be even later than that? If it is planned by that time we will probably choose to make th game in Defold otherwise we will unfortunately be forced to look for other engines.

2 Likes

If itā€™s crucial, you should probably look at other engines. We are not in a position where we can firmly commit to release dates for external users. One part is that we have to prioritise Kingā€™s teams first, in case anything comes up. The next part is that we want to do a new type of extension system (which ads would be based on), and that requires an amount of RnD. Lastly, we want to release when the particular feature is awesome, not just because a promised date has arrived. We understand that this makes it problematic for external teams to plan around Defold, but that is the nature of this game engine. The good and bad of not having a business model around it so to speak. We hope that the long term benefits of all this will make it worthwhile though. Sorry for the inconvenience!
(Also remember that itā€™s possible to do ads with dynamic textures as long as you can authorize without an SDK, the thing thatā€™s currently missing is the ability to integrate a 3rd party SDK. Video is not currently possible either.)

5 Likes

The current status is that we are still working on the extension system itself. It looks really promising and incredibly cool, but still quite far from production quality. I hope we can show some demos of it soon.

5 Likes

I remember that Revmob had a lua implementation for Corona that used http REST API (before they added them native plugin). If anyone is interested in ads, maybe they can dig it up and do a port to Defold.

/Fuscy

1 Like

I came across this site https://enhance.fgl.com/ that promises to add all kinds of stuff in an app without the dev doing anything.

Iā€™m curious if anyone has tried it and if it works for Defold. It would be awesome if it did.

Fuscy

I signed up and started the setup process, but on Step 2 it became obvious that it wonā€™t work:

ā€œSome SDKs to be included in the Enhanced app will require you to add our simple Drag and Drop library before uploading. As the name indicates, this is a very quick and easy process.ā€

A .jar file needs to be included in the Android app and a line of Java code needs to be called when an interstitial ad should be shown.

2 Likes

Interestingā€¦ so itā€™s dependent on a library that they provide.

Are they including anything that doesnā€™t require the library. The ā€œSome SDKsā€ part gives me hope.

Thanks for testing this @britzl

Fuscy