Facebook and Ads

I’m thinking that the jar they provide is a tiny wrapper (28kb) around all the SDKs they inject in the resulting APK, and from what I could tell it seems to be needed for all SDKs:

Interstitial ad:

FGLEnhance.ShowInterstitialAd();

Reward ad (video):

FGLEnhance.ShowRewardedAd(FGLEnhance.Placement.PLACEMENT_NEUTRAL, FGLEnhance.Trigger.TRIGGER_USER_ACTION, OnRewardGranted, OnRewardDeclined, OnRewardUnavailable);

Analytics:

FGLEnhance.LogEvent("event_type");
1 Like

Maybe in the future they’ll support Defold :anguished:

Everyone keeps using SDKs when all they do is wrap REST calls.

Oh well… the search continues.

Thanks @britzl

Fuscy

Hey @Fuscy,

Developer of Enhance here - thanks for checking out our product!

Support for Defold is on our roadmap, so I’ll be sure to PM you once we have it ready.

Also, you’re totally right that most providers just wrap rest calls. This was one of our motivations when developing Enhance - rest calls generally don’t provide a good user experience, and the CPMs tend to be far lower on average than actually implementing the SDKs like Enhance does.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions which would make our service particularly useful for Defold users!

7 Likes

Thank you for coming back to us here on the forum @FGL_Luke! I’m not sure I understand what you mean here? Are you’re saying that if I use an SDK to show my ads instead of downloading and showing them myself using a REST API I will earn more money? Except simplifying the life of the developer, what does the SKD provide that I cannot do myself?

1 Like

On average, yes. I’m sure it will vary network-to-network, but in order to get the highest CPMs we’ve generally had to implement the SDKs. There are a few reasons behind this - in short, the advertisers prefer that you use their SDKs as it allows them full control over their display. They also can do better targeting, and can deliver more advertising formats.

SDK integration also makes it far easier to negotiate direct deals with ad networks. We do this for our “fully managed” service where our FGL ad ops team will actively mediate and tune your ads in order to get the best CPMs. We’ve found that advertisers are far more open to guaranteeing higher rates if we are doing a full SDK integration as it allows them to more easily ensure the quality of the ads delivered; from both an implementation and tracking perspective.

4 Likes

I see. Thank you for elaborating!

1 Like

What a sad day it is when you find something so perfect and amazing, but it doesn’t have such an important feature. I really didn’t want to use Unity either…oh well

Sooner or later you might switch to use IAP or subscription model if you’re seriously making games. Ad will leads the engage ratio down. iAd network was closed EOM June. Eventually, Google play will mark an Ad label to the game. Players’ve been not willing to accept Ads since they have a lot of choice of good free or IAP games recently. It’s more naturally to add add to video/news but it seem to be Ads are not good for apps/games nowadays.

Paid app model is not a good approach also as players are not accept to buy a game except a flagship.

Although there’s a lot of articles said about that I still want to touch and feel the truth. I’ve created some games to research on it and the answer is the same.

This is a fireside chat that could be better suited for the slack channel but I’ll chime in with my opinion as well.

Ads are here to stay and there’s a projected $100+ billions poured by companies in mobile advertising in the future (if it hasn’t been reached yet). That is a huge increase which is being translated in ecpm. In the past a great ecpm was slightly above $1 where now having $6+ is expected. This will grow as more and more companies go into mobile advertising.

Some players understand that the developer has to make money somehow and ads are accepted. Some players also want a No Ad IAP but they’ll never buy it. Usually that IAP is bought less that 1% usually 0.1%.
Some are completely against ads as they’ve become jaded by too many spam ads. These users usually turn another leaf when presented with rewarded opt-in ads.

As everywhere, excess is bad. Having too many spam ads or iap will turn the user away and lower retention, engagement and long term ltv. But… in casual games like King’s, the conversion is ~2% on average. This leaves that 98% of players who won’t make a purchase… ever.

BTW ads are a quantity game and there’s not much you can do to drastically change this kind of revenue: mediation, different types of ads, a new hook… but in the end you depend on the advertiser.

With IAP you could with just a few core players, beat ads easily. IAP leaves you the control on the strategy and you don’t depend on the whims of the market (too much).

My 2 cents.

Fuscy

1 Like

I might as well link to the DefAds project in case someone finds this post and is wondering about ads in Defold:

4 Likes

Have you some progress in question of adding native ADS SDK like Unity ADS or AdMob ?

1 Like

Well, yes and no. We had a team offsite a week ago where we discussed plans and roadmap and the state of extension system was discussed. We have a very clear picture of how it should work and a lot of the implementation is done. Some finer details remain and I can’t recall what we said about a tentative date for a release. @Axel and @Sara/@saracederberg do you have more information?

3 Likes

This thread was created in 2015 and with the same? It has been 2 years as I said long ago I love this engine but please get admob as a minimum.
Something that is very good in Corona SDK are its extensions, your engine gives a thousand turns in performance and productivity, but users need to integrate ads.

Sorry for my english

3 Likes

Hi @Miguel!

Indeed, one of our native extension examples that we are actively working on, is AdMob. It is very basic and minimal, and we’ve only implemented it for iOS so far. We are currently adding Android + jar/java support to our native extensions, and we use this admob example as our test case, so hopefully we can share that example very shortly.

8 Likes

OMG I love u

7 Likes

Any news about this?

Check out this thread:

3 Likes

Great. Thanks for the quick answer.

I’m really looking forward for this extension. For me, this is a must for publishing a game. I really like your engine and this was the only drawback I found.

BTW, where should I follow the progress of this extension? In the link you sent? Are you going to have official announcement?

1 Like

The safest bet is to read our by-weekly release notes. But I think there will probably be more posts in the thread I linked.

1 Like

OK. Thanks.