Extending tools of Defold Editor via extension

Hi.
I read about extension in doc and as I understood it is good for extending inner functionalities of Defold.
but Can I make gui tools via Defold extension using c++? for example add new asset type, new context menu or even create new editor for my asset.

No, there is no such extension system available.

Editor extensions have been rumored to be a future update. :pray:

1 Like

Yes, it is definitely something that will be implemented. It is likely something that we’ll see progress on towards end of 2018.

3 Likes

Do you have some news on that topic?

we discussed it in the video:

1 Like

Yes, editor script extensions are mentioned in our roadmap as planned for Q2 2019 (so quite delayed):

3 Likes

Thank you for your answers!
Do you already know how powerful the system will be? Will we be able to add new asset types or game object components? Adding new UI elements to the editor? Changing some already existing tools?

2 Likes

Editor script extensions will allow you to hook in scripts (Lua) to perform tasks when different things happen in the editor. It could be pre/post build, when right clicking an asset, when right clicking in the outline, when the editor starts, when a new file is added etc. You will be able to get the context and perform various actions. You will be able to create menu items and perform script operations. Batch processing and similar.

You will not be able to create new component types.

5 Likes

Doesn’t sound like we’ll be able to modify the viewport at all?

I want to make stuff like Source 2 Hammer editor

Editor extension scripts will allow you to add menu items and perform tasks, not create new editor windows or UI components.

2 Likes

That’s a shame… but we can still build these kind of tools in engine if we are given more raw power such as generating meshes on the fly and such. Material IDs for example would help with that too.

Is improving the viewport for 3d work happening in the 3d update?

We haven’t discussed it, and I think it’s because it doesn’t need discussing :slight_smile:
We’ll for sure improve the viewport in incremental steps along the way.
Perhaps a wish list is in order?

And as for the scriptability, what Björn is mentioning is the first step, and we want to try that out, to see that it works the way we want it to.

And (at least in my mind), we’ll eventually reach a point where we can configure more and more in the editor, and perhaps even create new tools/gizmos etc in the windows. We’ve talked about these things but have no real formulated design how to do it yet.

3 Likes