Extending the editor?

I am going to port an old unity game I started on to Defold. Unity allowed me to extend the editor to kinda streamline certain aspects of levels in my game. For example I made an easy way to make waypoints an NPC would follow by just clicking a button which would create the waypoint parent object and add waypoints under it that I could drag around and order, I would click an add waypoint button and drag it to where the next point should be. Another example is pairing two objects, one is a trigger and another is triggerable, when you would click on the trigger in the hierarchy it would paint a debug line to the triggerable object it is paired with so you could easily see what that trigger does.

I’m sure someone could think of some other examples but is there some example of extending the editor?

You will be able to extend the editor in the future. Note though that the data format used in Defold is very easy to work with if you want to set up a custom pipeline with scripts and/or external tools.

@sicher is there new info on this? Using a Defold 2 maybe? I could only google up the Native Extensions in Defold, but it doesn’t seem to be the same thing (that is - it’s not for editor extension)

Note though that the data format used in Defold is very easy to work with if you want to set up a custom pipeline with scripts and/or external tools.

Is there any info on the data format specs? It looks like JSON, but not quite - there are quite a few “embedded” strings, especially for components, which require some parsing.

No news. This is a very long term goal and, as you suspect, very different from native extensions which are extensions to the engine runtime.

It’s not json but a human readable version of protobuf. We do not publish any specs since the format may change.

I see
All hail custom separate GUI-tooley-tools!

2 Likes

I have written a python module/tool for editing/parsing Defold files that I call DefTree, with its help you can write some standalone tools for checking/creating/editing files.

8 Likes