Export Menu/window

Hi there, I believe Defold needs to centralize it’s export(Bundle) options. Right now there are a bunch of things all over the place.

So my idea is that when you click on the ‘Project’ option in the menu tab, instead of a bundle menu you would have access to the export window.
It would open up a new window, and from that window you can export to multiple platforms, all the options would be there(kinda like Unity’s build menu, but better ->). Also, options like excluding collections on export, excluding libs(parts of the engine), live updates, and any other options that right now may be in game.project, that are more export and not so ‘project’ related, and therefore deserve their own space.

That’s just a rough Idea, this concept started with me thinking that excluding collections(proxys) was an option that should be available at export time, with a list of all of them, so you can decide on that easily and click less. But then I realised we don’t really have a proper export menu, hence the suggestion.

I hope all of you who I’m sure are a lot more qualified than I am will chip in and expand upon it, making it better than what i described up above. But at any rate, i hope this gets people thinking and I hope it helps.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

What would be a standard use case for excluding collections that would warrant such a big addition? Surely, you could make a copy of the project, open that copy up, delete whichever collection you don’t want and then bundle this version? When would this not work?

It works as is, all I’m saying is that moving forward it could be better to have all of the export related options in the same place. It’s about easy of use not functionality.

While I would rather see the feature you mention than not, I believe the ‘workaround’ I mentioned above is sufficiently easy and quick to use that it does not warrant the amount of work - that could otherwise be spent more efficiently - it would take to change the export system.

I believe what @Kios is referring to is excluding collections by checking the Exclude checkbox of a collection proxy. This is part of the live update functionality where you can exclude collections and their referenced assets and then download and cache them when needed.

Is there any documentation on this feature? I must have missed it.

There is a manual here

1 Like

I see. I must have misunderstood what @Kios was talking about. In my eyes, the link you sent to me seems sufficiently straightforward to use, but perhaps an export menu to bundle all these things together could be considered a useful addition.