Export compliance information

Hi everyone,

I’ve pushed my game for review on the app store yesterday. I have to admit it has been several years since my last one, so lot of new things to deal with.
When asked about the export compliance I have for now selected none, but reading Defold’s manual seems like there is some encryption to declare.
How do you guys normally proceed on a project that doesn’t do anything specific? The only extension I have is game center. With the standard encryption seems like there is still some documentation to present if the game is available in France.

Small feedback: in the manual, there is a description about export compliance, but nothing on the course of actions. Maybe it’s worth clarifying that a bit more.

Good point. Added issue: https://github.com/defold/doc/issues/322

Here’s the table from the export compliance page at Apple:

Encryption algorithm in use Required documentation
Your app uses encryption limited to that within the Apple operating system No documentation required in App Store Connect.
Your app uses an industry standard algorithm, not provided within the Apple operating system Upload your French encryption declaration in App Store Connect.1
Your app uses proprietary encryption algorithms not accepted by international standard bodies (such as IEEE, IETF, or ITU) Upload your U.S. Commodity Classification Automated Tracking System (CCATS) and/or French encryption declaration in App Store Connect1

As mentioned in our documentation we use encryption for HTTPS calls and we encrypt resources in the game archive.

• HTTPS - We use mbedlTLS for HTTPS connections which falls into the category “Your app uses an industry standard algorithm, not provided within the Apple operating system”.
  • Resource encryption - We use standard encryption algorithms here as well which means it falls into the category “Your app uses an industry standard algorithm, not provided within the Apple operating system”.
3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I have to say the French procedure is a real pain, considering that all the forms are not in english.
In my case probably not worth publishing in that app store considering is a free game with no monetization at all

1 Like

This really is a painful issue with Apple.

I’ve finally finished setting up the rest of the requirements in App Store Connect, but now I’m stuck again.

If I tell Apple I’m using standard encryption algorithms, and want the game to be available in France, I have to upload some formal “French encryption declaration approval form”? Surely this is not correct?

Does anyone else on here publish to iOS, and how did you handle this?