Does Defold generate games with any kind of integrated hardware acceleration or are games CPU-locked?

I was just wondering if games made with Defold utilize the user’s GPU at all. I was poking around and didn’t find anything saying Defold does not use it, but also could not find anything that said GPUs are utilized.

If Defold games do not utilize GPUs, are there any workarounds I should be aware of or changes on the Defold roadmap?

Defold games run on the CPU, single threaded (Lua is by default single threaded). And we are currently performing all transforms on the CPU as well (this might change in the future).

2 Likes

What do you mean when you say utilizing the GPU?

2 Likes

Like any modern game engine, Defold uses both the CPU and the GPU. The CPU is used for things like managing the scene graph, running Lua scripts, transform calculations, sending the render commands to the GPU etc., while the GPU does the actual rendering (running the vertex shader, clipping, rasterizing, running the fragment shader, depth/stencil tests, blending).

8 Likes

What I meant was, is all of the rendering and OpenGL using the CPU the whole time or does it use the GPU if it is available. Sorry for my poorly worded question. I was having trouble articulating what I actually wanted to know.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.