DF fonts in pixel art game (SOLVED)

Is there a way to properly display DF fonts in a project that is otherwise set up for pixelart?

Here’s the look I’m going for:

Loading the font in Defold I get something like this:

Very fuzzy! I’ve tinkered with the settings as far as I can, and nothing seems to be having an effect. If it would take more complicated wrangling with the render pipeline I would be up for that, but I wouldn’t know where to begin.

Any ideas? Thank you!

1 Like

You can try generating the base font size at a larger size so there is more detail. Then in the fragment program increase the sharpness.

1 Like

Thank you.

Setting a large size then scaling down is making a big difference (in my opinion, let’s see if it gets designer approval):

Tried searching for how to increase sharpness but not having much luck. Closest I found was your post, but changing that third parameter in a custom fp doesn’t seem to be making any difference. Any chance you have further hints on this particular step? Thanks.

2 Likes

You can make a copy of the builtin font materials, and then multiply the smoothing by a value to adjust this. This modification can be per project so will require experimentation, and may not be worth doing at all.

You can also test adding a sampler and setting it to nearest in the material file.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thank you.

2 Likes

TL;DR for people finding this thread in the future:

If you want normal looking DF fonts in a pixel art game, you can:

1. Set a large font size and scale it down in your game.
  2. Create a custom material and fragment program to increase sharpness. See this reply.
6 Likes