Defold won't open

Hi,

I was trying to open and learn something with Defold today, but it won’t open. Trying to see what happen in Task Manager, OpenJDK stayed at 40-50mb and Defold stayed at 0.9-1mb.

I found this thread https://forum.defold.com/t/defold-1-2-149-doesnt-start-on-windows , did same instructions and got same error like this Defold 1.2.149 doesn't start on Windows . And Decoded says to update my Java but it still won’t work. I have all environment system variables already set.

And now, I’m stuck here, don’t know what to do. It happen today, when it was my first install, Defold runs fine with no error.

Which version did you download? Please provide a link.

Where did you install it?

What does the log say when you try to start Defold (see here for log file locations)?

Thanks for reply, and sorry I didn’t give you much details.

Today I downloaded latest release, which is version 1.2.159, I thought it will resolve my problem. First time I used Defold was 2 days ago, I don’t know which version was.

I installed it in Local Disc (E:).

Log for today is empty.

And I guess this is Windows? Which version? 64-bit?

What if you move the files to user home directory and try from there?

What if you try and run Defold as an administrator?

Yes, Windows 10 64bit.

Nothing happen, with and without admin permission.

Can you share your environment variables?

This article suggests you can find it in System properties → Advanced → Environment Variables

besides Java_JDK and Java_JRE, are there any other java-related system variables?

none :confused:

I think problem solved, I delete Java JRE 8 entirely and Defold run perfectly :slight_smile:

I’ve recently started getting this error. Might be related? I’ve recently re-installed Windows so that may be a factor as well.

deferror1

Hey maybe you should re-install Defold to the latest one. For my case, I just need to get rid off Java JRE 8 and replace them with Java JDK 12.

Is your defold editor folder in Program Files?

Yes, now you mention it. That probably means I need to run Defold as admin.

Yeah, it can’t copy files there, that’s why it fails an update.

3 Likes

Perhaps we can change that download/unpack folder to something more windowsy? (I think that’s a proper word)

1 Like

We unpack and download updates in temporary folder, but actual installation of update still has to overwrite files in directory where editor files are. We could place most editor files in AppData, but there still should be a launcher in Program Files, and we need to update it from time to time.

3 Likes

We could place most editor files in AppData,

Please don’t. I hate it when programs stealthily take up space on my tiny system disk instead of remaining where I put them.

3 Likes

I think I had the same problem but my opens and stays on a page that has a few things on it. Like a cavewoman, the corp. partners, etc. (steam version btw)