Defold vs Gideros?

Hi guys!
I wonder what is the difference between Defold & Gideros?
I’ve googled, but didn’t find any actual comparison.

What does Defold offer that Gideros doesn’t?
What does Gideros offer that Defold doesn’t?

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

I’ve never used Gideros but comparing the editors and features should be enough. Gideros seems more open and that has pros and cons. I used to be diehard open source only but then got burned, now I appreciate the value in an actual professional development team working to support a tool like Defold has.

You would have to really test both yourself to decide which is better and which has features or support that you need more.

8 Likes

Gideros looks like a framework. And more similar to Corona or LÖVE. Code structure in Gideros has roots from Flash local background = Bitmap.new(Texture.new("field.png")) stage:addChild(background) Love to control every elements by self and coding everything as buttons.x.y=100 on the screen? Then your choice is framework.

Defold looks like a pretty engine. Scene editor, GUI, atlases, fonts, particles, spine animations, pools, pushing building collection to device on the fly. All this things let me concentration on the game, instead of looking a stuff like a GUI-editor and monkey coding of every aspects .

9 Likes

…And that exactly what Im trying to avoid after 3+ years of working with frameworks (Java, libGDX) it really got its toll on me and I kind off stopped getting games out as much. With Defold my motivation spiked again and within the few weeks I’ve known about Defold (probably a month now) Ive managed to finish and published a simple and currently converting a game that I was working on with libGDX. Its really fun at first to be coding everything but you’ll soon realized deployment time between games take a hit, and its why Game Engines have grown so popular and is the product of many if not all major game development companies…

14 Likes

Same Experience for me too :slight_smile:

4 Likes