Defold on Steam

@britzl all right, I’ll have a look when I have the time.

@Mathias_Westerdahl I’m using Gentoo.

1 Like

Hey, guys any update on this?
The Steam version is still behaving like this:

Does it happen still if you uninstall and reinstall then update? Maybe the base version needs to be updated again. It could be set to auto-update as new versions are released, and then if people want to opt out of Steam’s auto-update they would need to disable it.

1 Like

No update. We would prefer to not even have to mess with a Steam version, but it is expected by our users to also find Defold on Steam (and who knows, maybe on the Epic Game Store in the future).

We would very much appreciate community help to keep this version updated each time we release a new stable Defold release. Help can be provided in two ways:

1. We can give someone access (@Pkeod already has access as a collaborator) and that person could help with the release on Steam. @Pawel perhaps?
  2. Someone familiar with the Steam tools could help us create a command line script so that we can auto-update the version as part of our release process. Is anyone familiar with the process of automating new versions to Steam and could help us with this?

Or 3) The update process of the Steam version could be setup as a cron job and download the release from our releases page, and upload it to Steam.

2 Likes

I saw github action for that: https://github.com/game-ci/steam-deploy

6 Likes

Yes, sure! If it can’t be automated or is to costly to update for now I can always help :wink:

Github action would be the best way to do this. Alpha channels on Steam could be setup too.

Several people have reported an error when trying to open some GUIs:

• menu.gui: The file ‘…’ could not be loaded.

At first I did not understand the reason, but then I realized that they all installed the version from Steam.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess we need to update the Defold version on Steam to avoid this kind of thing.

Best thing would be to make a Github action that does it. The script part of it should be very easy.

Is there any news on updating the Steam version of the engine?

It’s still not automated, but they now have a script to upload a new version to Steam easily. The version on Steam right now is the latest stable one (1.5.0).

1 Like

Thanks. I just noticed a lack of new information in the Steam News Hub since December 2022. And I thought that there was an old version of the engine.

We’ll update the news on Steam with each new release from now on.

2 Likes

Thank you! I really appreciate your work.

2 Likes

Added 1.5.0 release news just now. Defold - Defold 1.5.0 has been released - Steam News

4 Likes