Defold on Steam

Thanks to the persistence and amazing help of @Pkeod Defold is finally coming to Steam!

The Steam version of Defold will be exactly the same version as the one you can download from d.defold.com and github.com/defold/defold/releases. The reason we are testing Steam as a new distribution channel is to see if it can help us reach new developers.

Please head over to Steam and wishlist Defold if you’d like to get notified when it becomes available. Defold community sponsors can send me an email (bjorn@defold.se) to get a beta key to help test Defold prior to the public release.

27 Likes

Awesome! Will this use Steam’s update mechanism or just the regular built-in updates?

4 Likes

Hmm, but where is Nintendo Switch?

4 Likes

This is awesome! :clap::smiley:

3 Likes

Noted below the list of platforms: Some console platforms not listed here may require partner verification to use. When your project / team is ready to get verified, please contact us to get verified as required by console vendors.

4 Likes

The plan is to use regular built-in updates

6 Likes

Wow, that’s great!

1 Like

Cool! Are there achievements? =P

9 Likes

@britzl as it’s the same version, are there any specific things you’re looking at for betatesting? Mainly just the process of downloading through Steam?

Yes, mainly this, and that the update process works.

When gamemaker released on steam and on humble bundle (especially humble bundle) their usage exploded. To the point that for while YOYO games could not keep up, servers went down, and licenses could not be verified, but they eventually got it worked out by changing license, user guidelines, download changes, and forum changes. They ended up losing some staff due to the necessary overhaul of their structure, pricing, and direction of the engine after release.

But I think you guys have handle on it. And your not trying to win the no coding crowd.

So I pray for a manageable success!

8 Likes

Defold is available to download now on Steam!

10 Likes

Please do your part and write your review for Defold on Steam! Reviews go onto your Steam timeline which shows up to your Steam friends, it’s a great way to help market Defold.

14 Likes

9 Likes

13 Likes

Done. https://steamcommunity.com/id/bryanrieger/recommended/1365760/

11 Likes

Wrote one as well: https://steamcommunity.com/id/riolaro/recommended/1365760

@britzl It might be worth adding Steam to the Download Defold page as well

8 Likes

Here we go: https://steamcommunity.com/id/76561198018540267/recommended/1365760/

Finally! Gonna use Steam version from now.

7 Likes

How did you managed to have almost 100 hourse when writing a review? :smiley:

It is looking great, but I am wonder, if people are looking into this: I would like to write review now, becasue I am using Defold for years, but there will be few minutes on record on Steam stated here only :confused:

2 Likes

People will tend to look at a few things when assessing things on Steam. They will look at the number of reviews and the % of them that are positive. Then, they will tend to seek out some negative reviews to try and figure out why they shouldn’t get the thing in question. Finally, they might look at a positive review as well. That will probably end up being @Pkeod’s review since it’s most helpful and has so much time on record.

So I wouldn’t be concerned about your lack of time logged. If you’re worried, just state a disclaimer like I did.

Obviously this is a bunch of speculation on my part, but basically, don’t worry!

5 Likes