Defold on Steam

Probably it’s not only speculations! I saw once a detailed video on what people are looking at when choosing a game on Steam and the speculations there were very similar! :wink:

Yep, I saw your review and probably will do the same, the time on record will be just raising, while time of writing the review will be explained in the review like you did :wink:

3 Likes

Indeed! Good suggestion!

6 Likes

You can mention most of your time using Defold has been before it was on Steam.

How did you managed to have almost 100 hourse when writing a review?

I’m using the Steam version exclusively now, have since Steam keys were available to supporters.

5 Likes

There’s probably a lot more to say, but I tried to compress it all :smiley:

6 Likes

Fantastic news. However, it fails to start in steam because I need to prefix the command with ‘MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1’ how can I do this within steam?

2 Likes

Ah, we need to look into this on Monday and figure out a permanent solution

2 Likes

Try to rightclick Defold > Properties > then type in “MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=2.1 %command%” in the launch options.

Something like this -

For completeness, if instead what you want are arguments to the binary, then you can just pass those in directly (no need for %command%), like -a -b -c.

4 Likes

Public Stats for January 31st 2021

Followers : 148
24-hour Peak: 15
All-time Peak: 15
30 Day Average: 8.9
Total reviews: 10

2021-01-31%2003_54_12-Defold%20on%20Steam

https://steamcommunity.com/search/groups/#text=defold for followers total
https://steamcharts.com/app/1365760 for other metrics

Will be interesting to track stats every few months or so.

Remember to post a review / use the Steam version if you can to help promote Defold to your Steam friends.

7 Likes

That would be nice, thanks.

I think would be nice to have a few stickers in the steam discussion’s page. Basic stuff like links to tutorials, api, videos, a “share here your progress” and so on. I know theres a link to the forum but idk :slight_smile: (I did see someone posting a few public examples already)

5 Likes

The “Playing Defold” status in Discord is what I like the most about the Steam release!

6 Likes

The only things I look for on steam… are the pictures the game has… and whether the reviews are positive… The store page has screen shots… but the screenshots and artwork pages on the community seem blank… I tried uploading a game screen shot to help… didnt work… is it blocked ? Or maybe you have to approve it ? Pressing F12 with my game running didnt result in a screen shot appearing in my steam screenshots folder.

Defold does not integrate with the Steamworks SDK. We use Steam only as an alternative means of distribution.

3 Likes

Hi, ok yup fine…

Just thought it would look good if lots of us were posting screen shots of our games on there… more enticing…

1 Like

Hey. Sorry to bother, but how come Defold’s version in Steam is 1.3.3? It is quite old-ish. Here’s About dialog screenshot:
2023-02-02-164941_595x427_scrot

2 Likes

We have not automated the release process to Steam and only update it irregularly. Our thinking is that it will immediately suggest an update to the latest version anyway. Is it not doing that?

1 Like

I have also some very old Defold version on steam (don’t remember which exactly) and I don’t think it ever asked for an update :confused: I was going to raise it at some point, but I recently use a lot of beta versions :stuck_out_tongue: If it isn’t much effort, it’s worth updating it to 1.4.2

Oh, it does ask for an Update, but unfortunately clicking on button does nothing for me. The reason I’m using Defold from Steam in the first place is that it is not packaged for my Linux distribution.
It’s a shame Steam version isn’t updated automatically. Do you fancy some help with that? I’m proficient with various kinds of CI automation.

5 Likes

In this case it should be part of the release step in our build script. So basically an alternative to the release_to_github() step here:

If you could figure the steps involved in uploading a release to Steam then we can collaborate on the functionality.

1 Like

The Steam package is (afaik) not different from the one we package (Ubuntu).
People use it for lots of different Linux distros. Which one do you use?