Defold editor slow

This is very interesting information. It leads us to think that it might be a graphics driver issue on Windows. Or perhaps some kind of power saving setting? What does the task manager say? Is the Defold.exe process maxing out the CPU?

yes, sometimes cpu
It becomes 100%.

same happens to on windows 10, but in ubuntu 20 with Defold ubuntu version runs smooth, so cause maybe windows JDK version.

Guys the issue was old graphics driver, just updated graphics driver and BooM! Defold runs smooth.

5 Likes

I am having the same problem.
The freezing happens seemingly every time I click anything, for between 5 and 30 seconds. Often the median of 15 seconds.

Defold 1.6.1
Windows 10 Home edition version 22H2
Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
24.0 GB (23.9 GB usable)
NVidia GTX 650 Ti Boost

My OS is on a SATA SSD and it has just over 20% space free. Havenā€™t noticed slowdown with other apps.

NVidia isnā€™t really giving driver updates for my GPU any more, just security updates. Will I need to buy a new graphics card or a new computer?

In fact, your PC is powerful enough to handle Defold IDE smoothly. Could you please tell us what happens in Task Manager during freezes?

** Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not because of the video drivers.

Your hardware specs should allow you to run multiple copies of Defold concurrently with ease.

CPU, Disk, and Memory all seem nominal (although the CPU spikes up by 30% higher). But the column ā€œPower Usageā€ spikes to Very High during the freeze and then goes back to Very Low when Defold unfreezes, that is, if Defold is the task labeled OpenJDK Platform Library (is it?)

This is getting unusable. It takes me 2 minutes to edit one line of code, sometimes. Thatā€™s not an exaggeration. I freezes for 10-15 seconds every 3 characters I type, and sometimes if I just move the text cursor.

I should mention my Defold install is on a 3TB HDD separate from the SSD drive for the OS.
I also have GeForce Experience installed.
I built the computer myself and have had no problems with it for 10 years, except slowdown on the original 1TB HDD, which I solved a couple of years ago by upgrading the OS to an SSD and getting a new HDD. I never use the old HDD anymore though it is still connected.

It appears to get more frequent and take longer to unfreeze and start accepting keyboard and mouse input for longer periods of time, the longer Iā€™ve been using Defold. I can try closing it down and starting it up again and see if that helpsā€¦

ā€¦It seems to help but only for a few minutes.
Itā€™s so bad that it will freeze between the time I start to drag something in the GUI editor and the time I release the button, so it loses the drag during the freeze. I canā€™t position things because I donā€™t know how much farther to move the mouse before releasing the button, and it usually lands somewhere I donā€™t want it.
It also freezes when Iā€™m trying to scroll the code editor. Or do literally anything.

Had a similar problem today following this platformer tutorial: https://youtu.be/R4oEB6e8G0A?si=uvUhPUAUyuT60w92, while working importing and configuring Kenneyā€™s platformer tiles. I thought it was because it was too big: the whole editor freezes for at least half a minute when editing tile sizes, for instance. Iā€™m in a laptop that runs other game engines nicely!

I stumbled across a weird workaround. When I was opening the windows Snipping Tool to take a screenshot of how it made the Defold editor UI fail to update dropdown menus properly while it is frozen, it unfroze.

Now whenever it freezes (which is one average every 3 seconds or every 3 keyboard presses or almost every time I try to drag a UI element) then I just open the snipping tool and start taking a snip, then cancel it and then it unfreezes. But i have to start my GUI component drag over again or sometimes re type some keyboard input that didnā€™t make it through the freeze.

Defold has updated two or three times since then and for the past 2 days I have not had freezing issues. Maybe that means the problem is fixed in the current version? I hope so. Itā€™s still 1.6.1 but updated a few times.

1 Like