Defold Editor should drop the code editor

Not a problem. The title doesnt help, but nor does the process (from my perspective). The editor is an integral part of the Defold “plug and play” framework. Its one of the great drawcards of Defold (imo of course). I dont really know of any other framework where you can download an entire cross_platform engine and start coding as soon as you have it. No sdk setup, no editor setup, no graphics or audio, its all gtg.

And as such, I dont think it should be treated like Unity or other engines because it is unlike that. And I would much prefer to see people being proactive rather than reactive to features to go into Defold. Ive mentioned this on many threads for differing feature sets.

Defold being such an amazingly extensible framework means that anyone can easily extend how Defold works, and by many degrees, what Defold is, to suit the developers own needs. This is high customisation which means its far more productive to get like minded people together to actually add a solution for a problem, if there exists one.

I myself have been a disappointing contributor, its taken me 3 yrs to organise myself to get a working source code build of the engine and the editor (got there just a few moments ago in fact). Which means I can be a far more valuable contributor for helping Defold move forward, if my contributions make sense to their forward looking goals. And I make no assumptions about this, it is their wheel to steer.

Which is why… I tagged this a little more complaint oriented than that of a necessarily useful promotion of “what can we do”. Ie to make this much more clearer in words, rather than a first post point out all the things you dont like (this is a list of complaints btw) and trying to invoke discussion, I think it might be more productive to talk about the editor as it stands, and specifically how you would go about improving it and more importantly how you might garner like minded people to make an effort to help make that happen?

The difference may be subtle, but one is not so nice on the ears of developers and the other method will invoke their interest which is what you want. Ive seen this type of request for many different types of features and this is not a slight on yourself at all, it is more a suggestion on how you might end up with better results if you work with the flow of development and potentially the community at large.

Hope that makes some sense from a rambling old man who has trouble following compilation instructions (sorry Defold ppl for hassling on Discord).

8 Likes

Hi! Defold editor should have a button to collapse all folders just like VScode has a button to collapse all repositories. IMO.

Hi!
It’s possible to do already:

1. Alt + Click on your root folder triangle
  2. Click to the root folder triangle again (without Alt this time)
3 Likes

I mean a button to collapse all folders altogether, here there is a picture explains what I mean

Schermata del 2023-10-19 15-14-38

I tried your hint, thank you. I think that a button could improve the usability of the editor.

1 Like