Defold Editor 2.0

congratulations! :birthday: :gift: :tada:

4 Likes

Congratulations!!!

4 Likes

Any word if 2.0 will support external plug-ins like Admob or similar monetization and analytics services?

1 Like

Editor 2.0 is only the new editor. The engine and its features will remain the same.

The answer is no then?!
That’s disappointing.

1 Like

There is an extension system coming soon and that will allow some additional means of integrating third-party code, but from the start only C/C++ so no AdMob support I’m afraid.

If you consider Leadbolt and AdCash as similar monetization options as AdMob then it’s possible to use them already using the recently introduced webview.

When you say analytics, which service are you thinking about specifically? Google Analytics? If so, then I’m fairly certain it’s possible to implement GA support in pure Lua using the Measurement Protocol.

6 Likes

I was talking in general, maybe Google, Chartboost, Soomla or something similar. Things like “Rewarded Video Ads” for example are becoming essential in the mobile gaming business as you know.

1 Like

I have to disagree, I’m looking forward to the new editor (as long as I can make my comments green and it matches my if…ends for me).

3 Likes

9 Likes

@AGulev Sorry for being late :slight_smile:

#teaserfriday

Not really new for this week, but I don’t believe we’ve shown the new, colourful, curve editor before:

17 Likes

C/C++?
does that mean you will release partial or complete code of the engine to public? i mean, we need that to develop plugins~~:D
that sounds really nice!
(already day dreaming about the plugins i wanna dev~ w)

2 Likes

Very nice the curve editor is really clear :slight_smile:

Did you plan to extend the curve editor for Object ?
Exemple, you have a collection "menu title"
with a some ui sprite, other sprite ect…ect…

we could add a timeline_animation that will use the curve interface to modifie position, scale, rotation ect…ect…

2 Likes

I was just asking about a feature that is very important to most game developers.

1 Like

The new editor looks amazing! Very slick and professional!
Nice job!

4 Likes

What you’re asking for will come in one shape or another, but not as a part of Editor 2.0.

2 Likes

No, the engine will remain closed source. We’ll give you more details later this year.

#teaserfriday

Hi everyone!

Not as visually exciting, and very much in need of polish, this weeks teaser shows that the new editor will bring saner forms for editing materials, gamepads, display profiles and so on!

13 Likes

Lovely !!!

Did the new editor could link automaticly variable in vextex/fragment shader in the materiel ?
It’s a bit anoying when you’re writing shader actually to setup variable in the material interface, redeclare them
in the shader ect…

And after could with some automatic thing that could be use like a time or dt ect…
Actually you need :
1 - setup material
2 - write shader
3 - write the code to update each variable of the shader

3 Likes

Interesting thoughts, could you try to describe more concretely what you would like and how it would work? E.g. what do you mean by “linking” variables?
In Editor2 your material is being used in the viewport (this is not the case in the current editor where it uses default materials and you need to run the game to see your shaders in action). Since the simulation (game) is not running, it uses the default values for every shader constant found in the .material files. This means you can use them for previewing purposes as well as give sensible default values.

1 Like

Love it!
Especially the gamepad setup. It’s these small things that make the workflow much more enjoyable.

Are you going to expand a little bit more these Friday/s sneak peeks? Maybe with a small video?

3 Likes