Defold and GDPR

Hi! I’m interested in if and how games/apps built with defold will be impacted by the new GDPR legislation (EU data law) on 25 may 2018.

For example using player analytics and crash reports etc as described in the player privacy section.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, we are impacted by GDPR and we are finishing off the last couple of issues this week, e.g. we will stop sending Device ID events to the analytics service.

4 Likes

All that has to be done:

• Ask for data
  • Be able to show you asked for the data
  • Show that there is control over who can access the data internally
  • Allow people to request to have their data deleted (e-mail is enough, very few if any will ask)

So it needs to be something that can be enabled and processed in the API and not something automatic. Forcing HTTPS else it won’t work would be a good idea too.

http://gameslaw.org/data-protection-cheat-sheet-controller-obligations-under-gdpr/

Thanks!

Will this require live games to be updated with a new Defold version? (We don’t have any Defold made games live on the stores now, so it doesn’t apply to us but out of curiosity)

Devs can block all EU users from installing if they have to. There’s still a while before it goes into effect.

I have a feeling EU people will find this more of an annoyance than a good thing like that cookie rule…

I believe so as well.
We will roll our eyes over those agreements just as US is rolling their eyes over all idiot labels protecting from lawsuits (eg. coffee is actually hot)
And the fact that removal means removal from everything that has happened on every backup ever… That’s not an easy task in these cached cloud environments.

1 Like

Any update on this front?

All Defold provided services (editor, engine and web) are GDPR compliant. If you use third party analytics services or services that collect personally identifiable data you are responsible yourself for making sure that those services comply with GDPR.

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks a lot.

1 Like