Defold 1.2.188 BETA

Defold 1.2.188 BETA

The latest beta is now released, and we invite those interested in beta testing the new features in the editor and engine to join now.
The beta period will be 2 weeks and the next planned stable release is two weeks from now.

We hope this new workflow will highlight any issues earlier, and also get valuable feedback from our users. And please comment if you come up with ideas on improving on this new workflow.

Please report any engine issues in this thread or in issues using Help → Report Issue

Thx for helping out!

Disclaimer

This is a BETA release, and it might have issues that could potentially be disruptive for you and your teams workflow. Use with caution. Use of source control for your projects is strongly recommended.

Access to the beta

Download the editor or bob.jar from Defold Downloads

Set your build server to https://build-stage.defold.com

Release notes

Moved Spine support from engine into an extension - Breaking change!

The biggest change this sprint is that we’ve now moved the Spine from the engine itself, into
extension-spine.

Apart from adding the dependency to the extension, there should be no other changes needed by the developer.

This is a big change, and we’ve worked many months to put all the pieces together.
If you encounter an issue with this release and your project, please let us know!

Breaking change!
Use new path to the Spine material folder /defold-spine/assets/ instead of builtins/materials for all the spine models in your project.

Rive.app support - Beta Release!

This sprint we’re also officially releasing the first beta version of the extension-rive.

The actual rive implementation is also still under development, and there are still things to solve, but we feel it’s time for our users to be able to play around some more with it.

It supports playing regular animations, as well as statemachines and controlling the state machine inputs.

Known issues:

• The scenes generate a lot of draw calls. The Rive team is working on implementing mesh+texture support, which will remedy this.
  • Some clipping and blending issues. Some scenes experience these issues, and we’re looking into this.

Darwin build servers

Since the available open source tools sometimes doesn’t work out of the box with the Apple software,
we have decided to use dedicated macOS build servers for macOS/iOS builds for the time being.
As a Defold user, you don’t have to configure anything, our regular servers will redirect to the builds automatically, and your builds should work as usual.

Other things

We’ve added the setting physics.velocity_threshold in order to allow the developer to control when slow moving objects should stop. Temporarily disabled in waiting of a unit test fix.

We’ve added sys.serialize(table)/sys.deserialize(buffer) (used internally in our sys.load()/sys.save()) functions for the cases where the developer uses custom functions to store or retrieve data.

We’ve added a fix for our builds using bob.jar that optimizes memory usage (at runtime) for each component type by calculating the number of instances needed for each type (if not using factories).
This allows us to also optimzise the running performance for component types if the collection doesn’t contain the type at all.

Also, we’ve made some smaller typos and fixes in the documentation

Work in progress

We are now working on implemention a Spine extension that supports the official (latest) Spine runtime.

Engine

* Issue-3775 - Fixed: Fix for slow moving physics objects getting stuck Currently awaiting a unit test fix

• Issue-5843 - Fixed: Disable component types that are not used in a collection

• Issue-6031 - Fixed: Increase debugger connect timeout from 2 to 10 seconds

• Issue-6036 - Fixed: NE: Added dmRender::EnableRenderObjectConstant + Disable to dmSDK

• Issue-6049 - Fixed: Expose Lua table serialization functions sys.serialize()/sys.deserialize()

• Issue-6058 - Fixed: Do not close the ssl socket twice

• Issue-6060 - Fixed: Allow window size change at initialization phase

• Issue-6067 - Fixed: Bob: Don’t create tasks for files in excluded folders

• Issue-6052 - Fixed: Bob: Asset cache: Added optional user and password to remote cache access

• Issue-6074 - Fixed: Removed Spine support from engine

• Issue-6081 - Fixed: NE: Added JNI thread attach/detach struct and LoadClass to dmSDK in dmsdk/dlib/android.h

Editor

• Issue-6038 - Fixed: Decreased tree view padding
  • Issue-6046 - Fixed: Delete unpack dirs older than one week
  • Issue-6079 - Fixed: Increase launcher max memory to 32 Gb
25 Likes

This is a massive release, congratulations everyone!

Now let’s play with that Rive extension :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh, yes.

3 Likes

so errr … extension-spine is 404 for now?

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks! extension-spine should be accessible now!

5 Likes

http://d.defold.com/beta/ is showing 1.2.187 beta download only?

1 Like

Thank you, we’ll look into it tomorrow!

1 Like

@GreenArrow You can get v188 from the github releases page: https://github.com/defold/defold/releases

4 Likes

It’s probably not related to the extension itself, but I couldn’t get the Rive extennsion to fetch. If I add the dependency and hit Fetch Libraries, it shows the URL and a progress bar at 0% for some random number of seconds before disappearing. The extension folder never shows up. And I get a error message about the missing extension if I reopen the project. My internet is quite terrible, but still, I can fetch other extensions fine. Could there be a permissions problem with the repo, or some other way that it could time-out the download almost immediately?

I ended up just downloading the repo and adding the “defold-rive” folder to my project manually.
It built just fine, but I had some errors and issues just adding the Rive Model to a collection, reported:
issue #6086 and issue #6087.

Regardless, it’s pretty amazing that things have progressed to the point where you can add and remove components from the editor and swap out whole feature sets with a native extension. :partying_face: Remember when we didn’t have native extensions at all?

1 Like

Make sure you get the correct one though, as we haven’t released the beta yet!

I’ve been fixing the failing tests that were blocking the beta release, and I expect the beta build to be done in ~60 minutes.

2 Likes

Ohh, OK. I’ll try again later and re-check the issues.

The beta has now been released!

5 Likes

it seems I cannot push directly to the phone from the editor with this beta.
A debug build created with the beta works just fine on the phone, but when I try to build from the editor targeting the remote phone, the app on the phone just closes down.

iPhone 12 with iOS 14.8
osx 10.15.7
extensions: iap, gamecenter, haptic engine

anyone else?

What does the log say?

No logs. the app just closes instantly.

I mean the device logs. If you bundle using a developer certificate and check the Console.app for output I’d except something there.

yes of course. attached here

crash_log.txt (110.3 KB)

It seems the crash comes from the Iap extension, when it’s shutting down.
Not sure what’s going on there though.