Cycle detected error after adding new objects to map (SOLVED)

I cloned an existing object and reskinned it w/ a new UV texture. I tested the build after adding just the new objects but without placing them and it runs fine. After however, adding them as game objects to the collection I get the following error printout:

java.lang.AssertionError: Assert failed: Cycle detected on node type editor.game-object/GameObjectNode and output :build-targets
(not (contains? (:in-production evaluation-context) [node-id label]))

I also got a java.lang.NullPointer error but I closed it too quickly to see what it said (after trying to delete some particle effects w/ same name in each of the objects to see if the naming of those being the same was causing issues.)

Anyone know how to fix these kinds of issues? I might just try remaking the objects as the thread here indicates: Cycle detected on node type (SOLVED)

However, this seems like a bug. Remaking the objects is a lot of time and I’d rather just figure out what is breaking it in case it happens again.

Figured it out! I had an object w/ a factory producing the same object type. Apparently this isn’t allowed by the editor.

4 Likes

This issue is not solved on the Defold side of things. The error message still doesn’t give any appropriate information. I ran into the same or a very similar message, and in my case it was a circular lua require (two modules that require each other).

I made an issue for it: Inexplicable java error that turns out to be a circular dependency problem - need better error message · Issue #5909 · defold/defold · GitHub

1 Like

I believe I have been bitten by something like this before as well. A circular require without a clear error message.

2 Likes