Creating a physics joint between two or more physical objects? (DEF-3025) (SOLVED)

Hi all,

Any ideas on the best way to create a moving / flexible physics joint between two or more physical objects ?

For example, create a joints that can be used to join the limbs of a ragdoll figure, or attach the wheels of a vehicle to its body…etc, similar to the Box2D joints (ie. Pivot, Distance, Piston, Friction, Weld, Wheel, Pulley, Touch, Rope, Gear joints)

Many Thanks

8 Likes

Throwing dynamic objects (SOLVED)

There is currently no support for joints so you need to write a solver for what you need. @Ragnar_Svensson might have some ideas?

1 Like

These are all good suggestions imo, and it’s nice to know that this is actually already in the Box2D engine.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree, joints the must have feather.
I Hope for a soon integration.

6 Likes

started to port some games on Defold from flash. really vote up for joints feature!

8 Likes

+1 for joints,
A lot of game ideas and mechanics are cut by the fact that there is no joints support in the engine.
Please implement.

7 Likes

Hi,
I have an idea of a game, where a character swings on a rope. I need to implement a rope. I really need joints to do this.
If Defold has some other alternatives or best practice, please let me know.
Thank you

5 Likes

We are all waiting for it.

6 Likes

Yes! Joints will be a useful feature. My vote here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I look forward to it! :hugs:

1 Like

linked topic Physics and joints (DEF-3025)

1 Like

We planned the next sprint (release) today. This sprint will not include any improvements to the physics system besides the synchronous ray cast functionality. We’re focusing a lot on the Facebook SDK upgrade and some other quite critical things. Next sprint will not contain much in terms of physics either. BUT, the sprint after that (ie in 4 weeks) we will do a physics focused sprint where the joints support will be included, as well as some other neat things such as exposing additional properties (configurable gravity anyone?).

17 Likes

That would be great. Thanks

+1

1 Like

+1
Could this gravity affect somehow particle fx? Beside of using its acceleration itself? :slight_smile:

0 Likes

No, I’m afraid not. The gravity is solely for the 2D/3D physics system and the particles are not part of that.

1 Like

Big news! Huge feature. Maybe be you could squeeze in chain shape support, too? :wink:

4 Likes

7 weeks passed…

0 Likes

I know. But on the other hand we have this in our current sprint (planned earlier today):

There is a very high likelihood of joints being shipped within one or two releases.

7 Likes

Solved in 1.2.156

3 Likes