Child game object out of sync with parent (SOLVED)

I am making a laser! The body of the laser is a 10x10 sprite that I stretch in order to create a desired length. Then I wish to add a cap to the end of this laser ray, which is another 10x10 sprite which is not scaled. I have managed to child this cap to the body of the laser - necessary because the laser moves and rotates.

The result is quite jittery though, as if the transform of the child is updated at a lag to the parent.

Is this expected? What can be done to resolve it if so? Or am I likely to have done something wrong?

1 Like

Answered my own question. It’s because I had subpixels disabled in game.project. Suspect it’s not possible to achieve with that setting, since you’re not supposed to be madly scaling and rotating proper pixel art.

4 Likes

both of these videos look fine to me to be honest, the jittering is very light sabre esque.

I’ve been playing a lot with using tilemaps cut into 2 pixel sections for this kind of effect.

Here, I’m animating the x position and tint of white pixels (Around 55 pixels per tentacle).

edit: had to scale the video down to fit it on here, hence the low bit rate.

3 Likes

That looks great!

I am usually quite tolerant of rough edges, I think “good enough” is a mantra that is helping me ship games. However, even I thought it looked unacceptable, so I have to conclude that my first video just didn’t capture just how bad it was.

1 Like