Can't get collision object to move fast (SOLVED)

No matter how much force I put in apply_force, I can’t get my object to move faster than this:

Are there any common gotchas I could be missing? Here is my current code:

function init(self)
	msg.post("#collisionobject", "apply_force", {force = vmath.vector3(10000000000, 10000000000, 0), position = go.get_world_position()})
end

Here are my Physics settings:

Here are my CollisionObject properties for the ball:

Linear damping is at zero?

Hmm, nevermind that, I’m getting the same behavior. It seems to top out at 10000 or so. If I turn the physic scale down to 0.01 from the usual 0.02 it goes a lot faster (twice the speed?), but that’s the minimum and seems a bit dodgy. I don’t know, maybe there is some hard limit on the force applied per frame . . . If you apply a force every frame you can accelerate it to ludicrous speeds with hardly any noticeable acceleration time.

Yes, I have updated the original post with my physics and collision object settings.

1 Like

Ah, in that case, try turning the “Scale” project setting down to 0.02. Even though the editor doesn’t agree, that’s the default value. (Other than that I’m not sure. We’ll have to wait for some official input.)

I tried playing with scale, but it seemed to have no affect, but it seems to be working now, maybe because I rebuilt the project or maybe because I restarted the editor. Either way, thanks for the help!

The physics scale will have an impact on the simulation. In your screenshot it was 1.0. Turning it down to 0.1 or even lower should have a pretty big impact.

2 Likes