Can you import collections?

One of the things that sometimes happens to me is working in a different office on a different computer. Can I create a collection on one computer then load it into main project in other computer?

If so what exactly would the workflow be to do so:

Copy assets, scripts, and collections into a zip file?

Email or post it online Or would this kinda of thing be better handled in github (which I never use but probably should)

Thanks
JB

Yes, this is a job for version control! Github can be intimidating, but it’s really just a way to keep code safe and makes it easier to collaborate on projects.

Here is a pretty good guide: https://www.git-tower.com/learn/git/ebook/en/desktop-gui/basics/what-is-version-control/

3 Likes

All Defold files are text based and what you see in the Assets panel is a representation of the file structure on disk.

Most files reference other files (an atlas references images and a collection may reference .go or .collection files etc) so you need to make sure to copy all files when exporting from one computer to another. This can be tricky and if you do not copy all files you’ll get missing file errors when opening the project on another computer.

Using version control is a better choice I think.

1 Like

It took me quite a while to learn to use github too. It can be a little daunting, but it’s worth it. After trying a few options, I ended up using Sourcetree.

Since I can’t install the client on my work computer though, I use it only in one direction. Then I zip up the whole project directory, excluding the build folder, and just move it that way, so your original idea is definitely workable, though periodically committing the changes to github has the nice bonus of having a history of all changes readily available whenever anything goes wrong.

1 Like

Thanks I havent heard of Sourcetree.

Sourcetree is one of many Git clients available. We have a manual going over the basics of version control using git, either through the built in Git support in the editor or using external tools such as Sourcetree:

2 Likes