Auto-Zoom Appreciation Post

Back in the pre-historic ages, the Defold game engine had a serious issue. More precisely, the Defold game engine editor had a serious issue.

What was this issue, you ask? When any view was loaded that included a coordinate system, such as viewing a sprite component or a particlefx component, the view would be so incredibly zoomed in, forcing us developers to burn whole seconds zooming out with the mouse wheel. These zoom-outs no doubt caused wear-and-tear on my precious $10 mice that I buy on Amazon, burned valuable development time, and added a little bit of reluctance to the conversation when talking about the engine’s positive aspects to other developers.

Far and wide, Defold users complained about this lack of a proper default zoom level. Although, to be fair, I don’t think they complained enough. Just thinking back on those tiny sparks of disgust in my head every time I opened a graphical view makes me want to… ugh, I don’t even want to talk about it. Well, actually that’s the whole point. Now we don’t have to talk about it. Why? Because…

The editor was recently updated to fix this issue! Moreover, the fix was not even a naive one, such as setting the zoom level to maybe a few pixels in diameter, rather than the old .001 or whatever it was. Instead, somebody on the Defold team was considerate enough to auto-adjust the zoom level upon inspecting a graphical component, based on the size of that component. Not only was this a fantastic change, it was a greatly fantastic change. No longer do we burn through valuable seconds adjusting the zoom level multiple times per development session! I’m beaming with joy just thinking about it.

So, to those on the Defold team, I just say this: thank you. Thank you for introducing this wonderful update to the editor, and may there be many more updates of this caliber in the future. Quality-of-life updates aren’t talked about as much as they should be. Sometimes it’s the little things in life that truly make the biggest difference.

The last feature standing in the way of making the editor the best it can be is the ability to increase and decrease the size of all UI elements by pressing CTRL+Plus on Windows, or whatever the equivalent might be on other platforms. This is already possible with the built-in Lua editor, however it doesn’t affect the rest of the UI. This is very important for Defold-related videos, screenshots, or anything else that requires a good look at the editor. I hesitate to make video tutorials or showcase any sort of development without being able to increase the UI size. It’s unprofessional and always a poor viewer experience.

Happy Defolding!

7 Likes

You already can use multiple editor.css files for that and swap them or add some scripts to substitute font size in one file (but styling is processed at startup) Editor styling
This definitely should not stop the one who “really wants to make video tutorials”.

And if devs would decide to implement such feature, combining it with the text editor font size would be total mistake anyway.

Credit should (if memory serves me right) be given to @AGulev for this nice improvement!

I don’t think we have a feature request for this. Please create one!

3 Likes

I’m glad you like it!

I’m learning Clojure by identifying and fixing tiny issues in the editor that I found in our issue tracker or have wanted to fix myself for a long time.

By the way, even though Clojure looks unusual for people who have never worked with functional languages, the principles and approaches are really neat, though it has its own difficulties, of course. Maybe I should write a separate post about it—something like “Why It’s Scary but Not Difficult to Contribute to the Editor Project”—while my struggles are still fresh in mind (or maybe they always will be ^___^).

10 Likes

Thanks for suggesting that. I posted an issue here:

2 Likes

This is actually a very good idea! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m still keeping a HD monitor for Defold and some other stupid Adobe(yes, Adobe has suffering this issue too) products which you can’t (still) change the UI font size.

I’m old god damn it., I can’t read on 2k monitor :smiley:

3 Likes