Ask Me Anything opportunity for our London event

Hi there,

As you know we’re doing a nice event at King office in London on March 30. And we’ve [almost] secured a live-stream and a recording. The event would feature a Defold team member, a King’s Defold user and an indie Defold user - probably best ever setup to ask all kind of questions and get good answers.

Here’s Defold London event agenda to save you a click:

• 385 days since Defold went public
    Report on Defold market position, comparison with other game engines (like Unity and Cocos), review of shipped games and insight into the roadmap.
  • Lessons learned from building a Saga with Defold
    How to architect a game with Defold and how it compares with other game engines. Features a bonus demo of 3D features of Defold.
  • Guest speaker
    Connor Halford, the developer of Hook, Line and Thinker indie game will share his hands-on and unbiased experience of getting started with Defold.

A.M.A.

< placeholder for your ask me anything questions >

So what’s on your mind? What exactly you would ask Defold team or users? Put your questions to this thread and I’ll pick top liked for the Q&A session of the event.

Sounds good?

8 Likes

How to achive small game size? By what resolution artist draw images? How to compress all assets, and don’t lose too much quality(images,sounds and etc)?

4 Likes

hmmm… interesting take on the opportunity. But @d954mas your questions are so game specific on one point and game tech irrelevant on another point, that I am not sure a game engine team is the best to ask here. Or am I missing something?

I’ll consult with Fredrik from Blossom Blast Saga team, if he’d take this question.

1 Like

Yes, it is big question. I can rephrase it. What technics(file formats) was used in Blossom Blast Saga, to reduce game size? I knew some ways to do that, but i interested in experince from another teams.

1 Like

I’ll keep my questions separate to avoid confusion.

What kind of approach do you have for multiresolution games? How do you handle HD (@2x) graphics?

3 Likes

Is there any plan for drawing geometric shapes (circle, rounded rectangles, polygons, etc.)?

1 Like

I’ve discussed this with Fredrik. We’ll talk about it on during the talk. I’ll post a link to the live stream as we have it.

3 Likes

check! thanks

I would appreciate discussion on proper workflow when it comes to creating a dynamically scalable GUI.

1 Like

check!

2 Likes

Here’s a dial in link: https://bluejeans.com/783221064
Enjoy =] It starts in 30 minutes

4 Likes

How does Defold compare with Unity3D?

3 Likes

Thank you! Can I also ask: how does the message passing system in Defold work - is it a better way to sculpt the game, does it make it easier to maintain? Will P.C.G and line/curve drawing ever become more supported in Defold?

What kind of procedural content generation are you interested in that you find hard to implement now?

I’m envisioning and have on my ever growing to-do list a wrapper for the buffer API that would allow all kinds of direct image manipulation.

1 Like