Apple TV support?

Hello,

Do you plan to add Apple TV support? It’s really close to iOS but has some differences too.

Thanks.

3 Likes

It seems like quite a few of the iOS APIs exist for Apple TV as well, but there are also a few fundamental differences. One such difference is the lack of persistent on device storage. Instead data is persisted in iCloud.

My guess is that if enough people ask for Apple TV support and the market share is big enough then we’ll get support for it.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleTV_PG/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015241

2 Likes

Have you progress in Apple TV support feature?
As you know Apple TV support can help Get App Featured from Apple - it’s very important thing.

We have Apple TV support in a dev branch, but I’m not sure if anyones done any more work on it. Thank you for getting back to us and raising the question again. @Sara/@saracederberg (which one is it?) can you bring this request to the next planning meeting?

1 Like

We have reviewed the semi-completed implementation of Apple TV support and it is not ready for release yet. We might be able to do something about it after 1.2.95 during the Christmas period lull before we pick up pace beginning of January again.

3 Likes

Have you do any progress in Apple TV support feature?

No, no progress. The team is currently prioritising other things such as:

• Improved 3D support
  • Spine improvements (a recurring thing)
  • Native extensions
  • Performance improvements
  • Bug fixes

Adding new platforms will most likely not happen this year (excluding Facebook GameRoom).

3 Likes

@britzl In meantime, our team is porting one game from Unity to Defold for performance reasons. Its glad to hear that you did not cross this platform :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m also interested in Apple TV support. While I learn your platform, I hope you can get it out (maybe early next year?)

In general, we need a concrete case to prioritize a new platform. A lot of the things on our roadmap contains things that we believe is necessary for Defold in the long run (like native extensions and the new editor) and there are many things like that and we cannot put 100% of our resources into those things. Our game developers (internally and externally) are vital to us and we get constant requests for fixes and new features.

In general we ask for a good plan from the developer to be able to assess how important a big new feature is for their game and also when the developer needs the feature.

For instance, if you make a game targeting Apple TV you can probably do almost all of the development on desktop machines, but you should let us know what you’re up to and talk to us during the course of development so we can figure out how best to assist.

8 Likes