Any internal plans for visual scripting editor?

Node / blueprint / script canvas / playmaker / flow style system that other editors have.

I don’t like using them but I they do help make editors more approachable for general audiences and more people joining the community is better.

I’m asking because if there are no plans maybe we can start a community project to make it. Any rough idea of ETA for editor extensions?

I chose Defold because it has no things like that. Tried Construct and this approach is so inconvenient. But yes, it may come in handy to visualize relations between all the tiny lua scripts in the project. Sometimes I am kinda stuck with long message chains (from one script to another, to another, etc). I know, that’s because my shitty programming skill, but all we need to start from some point :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to use event style like Construct had in the past and grew to hate them, the flow style is more tolerable because it’s easier to see everything at once.

The flow style can be more especially useful for things like shader editors. For example https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14147
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/68570

I think Defold editor 2 uses JavaFX along with Clojure? I assume extensions would be made using those?

2 Likes

Not sure, not this year at least. @Erik_Angelin, @mats.gisselson?

Yes, JavaFX and Clojure. I know that Ragnar toyed around with Lua as a language to extend the editor.

1 Like

Hi!

Yes, sorry but don’t hold your breath for editor extensions this quarter. We definitely want extension support but for now focus will be on replacing editor 1.

We will probably have different types of extensions:

• specific plugins f.i. for loading/saving other formats
  • run external scripts from within the editor, maybe on events like pre/post build or from menu
  • extend the scene/gui editors with custom tools
  • full on use of the graph and ui, i.e. using the same tools we do

Nothing is decided yet, we’re not sure about what language to use nor the type/scope of api.

5 Likes