Android Launch Image (DEF-1701)

I would like to have something similar to the “Launch Image” on iOS for android. When the app launches it is just completely black until all resources for the initial collection have been loaded. The best way I can think of fixing this right now is to have a very barebone initial collection that loads the real game with a loadingscreen. Not sure if it would work as I expect though.

I would also like this feature. Works great on IOS and only black with android looks pale if compared.

As David suggested a lightweight loader collection that in turn loads your main collection works very well.

I’d like to revive this topic as I’ve recently ran into this issue and tried to apply the solution offered by @britzl

Problem is, this solution is not always working very well. In my case, I have many collection proxies in my main scene and it seems that android requires at least 3-5 seconds on my test device (reasonably recent and fast) to inflate the layout before actually transitioning to the launched application (i.e. showing the bootstrap collection).

It would be much better if we had a proper mechanism such as a splash-screen activity that runs before the main activity and only shows a graphic until the main activity is available. Something like this maybe: splash screens the right way

Looking at bob.jar, I can see that the manifest already contains dynamic parts and it seems to be relatively trivial to have a splash_screen_image (maybe with multiples resolutions) parameter in the project settings that, when it’s informed, generate a manifest with a splash activity.

I’d happy to do it manually but I don’t know if I can’t generate an android release without bundling it.

Well, if it takes 3-5 seconds then there’s reason enough to actually implement something like this on Android as well. I tried launching Blossom Blast and it does indeed take around 2.5-3 seconds before the King splash is shown. It turns out that we also already have an issue reported around this in our backlog: DEF-1701. I’ve revived that issue and added a link to this topic as well.

Great! thanks @britzl

Do you know if there’s a way to modify by myself the bundle that bob generates? Aside the manifest modifications there are a extra class and drawable to add.

I guess it might be possible to inject a new main activity, modify the manifest and resign the app, but I’m not sure if you’ll run into other problems along the way…