Android app development

Hi. I want to choose an Lua engine for android app development. what is your advise? is defold suitable for this goal? or this engine is only suitable for building games? if so, which engine I have to use for building android app with Lua?

my another question is does defold support LTR languages such as Arabic? by “support” I mean building games that have Arabic texts and are Right To Left.

Yes, Defold can be used to make non-game apps. There is nothing stopping you. It can be a great option depending on your use case.

I think there are still issues with Arabic support.

1 Like

thank you. any plan to support RTL and Arabic? your community is very friendly and I want to use defold but I need RTL. I think if defold supports UTF-8 and with using of “harfbuzz” the problem of RTL Languages will be solved. this is the link of harfbuzz:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HarfBuzz/

We have two different ways of presenting text:

Both of these are pretty basic with support for left-to-right text with optional line breaks. There is no support for showing right-to-left text:

The editor and engine will show the text reversed. There is also to extensions that deal with text rendering:

I think it would be possible to add support for RTL text in both of the above mentioned extensions. This will be a faster solution than waiting for RTL support to be added to the engine.

1 Like