Admob native extension for iOS

In these two days I’ve tried to add admob support for my app - and I’ve tried to use
https://github.com/Lerg/extension-admob/archive/master.zip
AND/OR
https://github.com/defold/extension-admob/archive/v1.0.zip
both as remote dependency and as a local copy
and I’m experiencing problems while I build the iOS app: It simply never reach the end of the task.
I’ve waited for more than one hour (more than one time) without results.
(note: I was able to use the second one for an Android build - it seems to be a specific iOS problem)

Note:

• I’ve used GameCenter extension (and for test even other ones, like screenshots and defOS) and I’ve not problems with them (them=one or the other one, not both at the same time)
  • if I remove them, I can build the app
  • adding them back, the build never ends
  • I’ve tried the last version of Defold and an older one (using two different OSX machines) and I got the same (non) result.
  • my internet connection is not fast - but fetching libraries works
  • as I already said I didn’t use both extensions at the same time - I started with one, the I tried even the other one, then in these two days I switched a lot of times

Anyone of you have had a similar problem? Is any workaround available (or at least a reason)?

Thanks in advance for your kind help

M

I haven’t tried building those extensions myself, and I’d say that the one by @sergey.lerg is the more mature one. The other should mainly be considered a template to improve upon.

But, none of them should silently fail. You should get feedback. I’m guessing this has to do with the fact that we’ve updated to build with a newer iOS SDK. Maybe @Mathias_Westerdahl or @sergey.lerg has some input?

One other option for you would be to use the FGL Enhance extension instead and then use their system to inject AdMob and other supported providers of ads and analytics.

1 Like

yes - I’ve seen enhance too - and I’d probably use that if I can’t find a solution using the native extensions that directly implement admob (my first choice was Lerg - I tried the other one just when I got errors with that)
A note (don’t know if it can help): I’ve put in my local folder the Lerg extension, I moved all the files, then and then I’ve added the files one after one, trying to build at each step. I got linking errors (of course) till I add the last one - the Google admob framework - then when I add also that I got the never-ending build. So maybe it’s in that (giant) package that there’s something that prevent the current iOS build from working well

thanks for your support

I added AdMob by Lerg as a dependency to the project I currently have open and bundled for iOS. The bundle completed successfully without any errors.

Did you also add it as a dependency instead of copying the source files into your own project?

yes I tried it several time, in both way (local or dependency)
if you are able to bundle I suppose it should be something “local” (on my mac, or with my connection). I try to add it to a new project and I’ll check it again. Thanks

nope - added the dependency to a different smaller program with no other native extensions - fetch it (I know it’s a very stupid question - you did that too, right?) - and build. And now Defold IDE is stuck waiting for the building task to end (for a little less than 10 minutes now)

maybe it’s my connection (even if fetch was fast)

is there any way to see what’s doing (in which part of the building progress is looping)?

Yes, did that.

Could someone else please try and build for iOS using the AdMob extension from @sergey.lerg? @sven?

1 Like

at the end I switched to Enhance (great service, indeed) and I’m waiting to see if Apple review process confirms me that everything went smooth with that
Anyway - if possible - I’d really be glad to understand what’s wrong/what I did wrong with those two native extensions (Lerg one seemed good and easy to use)

Thanks for your suggestions and help, britzl

M

1 Like

Managed to add the library as a dependency and bundle for iOS, no problems… Are you using Editor 1 or 2? :slight_smile: (I was testing with Ed2)

Thanks for your check: I’m using Editor 2 (the last build when I tried, but I checked even an older one)

Is there any time out for the build? My connection may be slow (considering that the google framework is 33MB I don’t know how long it would take to upload it to your servers)
And/or is there any log somewhere to see what’s wrong (I experience a neverending build - I mean I let it run for more than one hour - more than one time - between friday&saturday if I’m not wrong)