Add rotate and flip to Tilemap painting

Could you add the ability to flip and/or rotate tiles when painting a Tilemap.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. We have this in the backlog. Unfortunately this is unexpectedly tricky to implement so we can’t promise it will happen any time soon.

1 Like

How about supporting Tiled formats for tile maps instead?

What is the reason you would like to use Tiled?

It has features such as flipping tiles for example.

Yes, but the problem is that the engine has to support those features, which is tricky. The editor part is easy.

OK. I ssumed that the h_flip and v_flip fields would work. I didn’t realise these flags weren’t supported by the engine.

One solution could be to generate rotated verisons of tiles and generate a new tilemap containing the rotations and allow the editor to select between the rotated versions of each tile easily.

There are other improvements that would make the tilemap editor better but I’ll put them in separate tickets.

Rotating and flipping the graphics in tiles is easy, but there is physics involved as well that makes it difficult.

That’s all I meant to ask for in the first request. It would be useful to have.

Bump!

Not being able to flip tiles means you may need to double or possibly quadruple your tilesource. That’s a lot of extra work creating the asset and that much extra memory use. I would really like to have this feature, even if it doesn’t affect collision (there are already exceptions like this for physics) and isn’t available in the editor (I can use Tiled).

Flipped tiles already display correctly in the editor, but not in the running game.

3 Likes

I also agree, flipping (and rotating) tiles would reduce the file size considerably, which is especially relevant to new games that need a small footprint, like Facebook Instant. It also simplifies the workflow for artist.

2 Likes

Hey, not sure if anything’s changed in a year, but I see that tiles support flipping in-engine via Lua scripting now - would it be possible to add tile map editor controls for this?

2 Likes

@vlaaad, you did work on the tilemap editor recently. Any input regarding this?

1 Like

Flipping tiles is great. Is rotating tiles on the roadmap? Edit: Just planning a project, so would like to know either way. :slight_smile:

Hi, may I ask is there any progress on it? Thanks.

No, I’m afraid no work has been done on this feature request.