Access to Defold across the globe?

Maybe one of the most important thing for me:
I can see defold website, i can see defold forum and i can open defold engine from Iran without any proxy :grinning:

7 Likes

@Navid so is there a problem with other engines regarding this?

Yes we have two types of filtering and limits while we want to check websites or we want to use softwares:
1- limitations from other countries to Iran: lot of web pages are not available for Iran IPs
2- limitations from Iran to web sites of other countries, we can’t see lot of websites from Iran because of Iran internet filterings :expressionless:
I can’t see unity manual without proxy, i can’t login too. some of game maker and phaser sources are not allowed too.

1 Like

Have you tried using Opera browser? It has a built in free VPN service with EU and US regions. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Muffin, Yes as we have different kind of filtering and different layers of filtering, usually we try all kind of proxies and vpns and we change our way time to time, Opera works in some cases but not for all of them. the Ridiculous thing is that however we have internal filtering, we have access to vpn providers who sell vpn services in our country. other problem is that some internal websites doesn’t work while i use vpn. so sometimes I have to turn on and turn off my proxies lot of times in one day! ( youtube? ok turn it on, money transfer using my bank app? turn it off, check twitter? turn it on and again … )
sorry friends you can delete these messages as that’s not related to topic.

3 Likes

@Navid welcome to the Defold forum. I think this is highly relevant. One of the objectives of the Defold Foundation is to ensure that Defold is free and available to users across the globe. I’m happy to hear that you are able to use Defold from Iran.

We have received feedback in the past from users in China that they had problems with access to Defold and the build servers. Now that the build server code is open source (yes, MIT license) it means that users can set up local build servers or run them on the local machine. The public build servers are AWS hosted in Europe and in theory we could host them in more areas.

The Defold website is hosted by GitHub Pages, not sure how and where actually, but probably Microsoft hosted.

I’d love to hear from more users and any problem you may have with access to Defold and Defold services (or if it works well and you didn’t expect it to!).

9 Likes

Thanks britzl, It’s nice to hear it from you. anyway some of these problem are not depends on me and you. GitHub is free and accessible from Iran without proxy but two months ago it has blocked one of my main private projects on it just after my first login without proxy!
Thanks again for your support :+1:

3 Likes

Switching browsers for different use cases/websites is great. It’s like having several multi-tools and using each one for only one thing without being strictly limited to predefined use case. Could be a good option for people with limited/restricted web access as well.

Example:

Chrome for Default
Firefox for Work
Brave for Blocking ADS
Opera for VPN
Blisk for testing web layouts
Edge for viewing PDFs

1 Like

Don’t give out more information online than you need to, you shouldn’t even mention where you are from honestly. As annoying as it is to deal with companies being legally required to block your access (out of no fault of your own) because of your location, the authorities in your country shouldn’t be underestimated either. I have friends in tech who lived there and just vanished. I’m sure you will be careful and safe but just the reminder to not share personal information when it can put you at risk can be important.

3 Likes