Does Defold plan on expanding the very limited 3d support?

There are literally 100’s of 2d-game engines on the market to select from while only a hand full, if that many, of 3d web engines. My question is does Defold plan on expanding the very limited 3d support it offers currently?

Also, I was going through the Game Examples, looked at about 30 of them, wasn’t to impressed with the games, or the engine, not sure which to lay blame on yet, maybe both.

Then I did run across one example that was persuading me to maybe try Defold out.

This example is in the Defold games examples, then when I clicked to run it said 'Made in Unity" lol.

Well aren’t you charming! I somehow doubt anything is good enough for you, but for the benefit of others that are reading I’ll respond anyway.

Here’s a post talking about the plans for 2022, heavily skewed towards enhancing 3D features:

Note the section describing the intent not to directly compete with Unity or Godot when it comes to 3D features.

3D support is discussed in depth here, with later posts showcasing some examples of Defold’s 3D capabilities:

Some community work and examples:

10 Likes

Which page is that showing on? I don’t see it anywhere.

You can make 3D games with Defold, but it requires you to know more about making 3D games than other tools made to make making 3D games easier require you to know. There are plans to improve how friendly and convenient it is to make 3D games over time / the Defold team has talked about that publicly before. But I can tell what you want right now is not what Defold offers and you should move onto considering a different tool which meets your wants currently.

12 Likes