Windows XP deployment

Thanks @Pkeod,

I deployed the game to Windows XP SP3.

That’s just my evaluation for a long term game. No support for Windows XP should be OK . Just ask to confirm for spec.

I looked into this more and it looks like InitializeConditionVariable is Vista+ only. It might be possible to get XP to work still but Defold team would have to do it and make changes to some features. Still probably not worth the time and effort.

Would be worth making a list of compatibility for target devices and OS versions somewhere…

1 Like

Sure , a list of compatibility would be great . BTW, which is a good free installer tool for Windows ? I did with Install Shield before but it’s commercial tools.

I have used this for years http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

3 Likes

Thanks again @Pkeod,

That’s what I’m looking for, a lightweight installer tool.

I sent a build to publisher for QA and he report me about same error.

Games made with Defold doesn’t work in XP ? :astonished::scream:
Maybe somebody know workaround?

1 Like

As @Pkeod wrote in a previous post: Is XP really used by anyone in 2016? The Steam hardware survey shows 1.36% of users running Windows XP (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/)

1 Like

@britzl Our publisher want to publish game to many stores (not at Steam).
Many of those stores in developing countries and local stores in this countries usually more popular than Steam.

UPD: publisher told me that win xp 32 bit it’s more than 20% of auditory

1 Like

Ok, I see. @sven, @jakob.pogulis, @Mathias_Westerdahl, what’s the deal with Windows XP support in Defold? We only mention that we support OSX, Windows and Linux in the FAQ, we do not mention any versions…

1 Like

I’m fairly certain that we do not support Windows XP, I can’t remember exactly what’s the problem, but I think there are system calls in use that is not available on Windows XP.

Since version 1.2.30 we support Windows Vista and up.
See release notes: http://www.defold.com/release-notes/1.2.30

@sicher, can you please update the FAQ to reflect this?

As I understand I have no chance to run game on win xp ? :cry:

1 Like

No, it seems that way :frowning:

That mean I have a troubles. :confused:

WinXP games distribute throught many arcade portals of puzzles, hiden object, arcades and others genres for “not hardcore ass” players. Sad to see dropped WinXP support. I try up this theme, maybe one powerfull king necromant ressurect this body )

1 Like

I think “support WinXP” in modern time is a killer feature of game engine )))

1 Like

The support was dropped quite a while ago (Q2-2014) and it was done for several reasons, mainly technical limitations (networking, thread pooling, high dpi support etc, @jakob.pogulis and @Andreas_Tadic knows more). We could perhaps have been able to maintain a fork of some kind or have alternative implementations for some of the missing features, but I doubt if it would have been worth it. If this is a show stopper for someone I sincerely apologise for not communicating the minimum requirements of the Defold engine in a better way.

3 Likes

Will be great to know minimum requirements for all platforms:
for example I can’t find IOS and Android min version or other requirements (win and mac, too)

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how recent those numbers are, and in what region they are referring to.

There are some numbers presented by Unity and Steam which suggest Win Xp support of ~9% and ~1% respectively.

Are there any other relevant pages with statistics out there?
(It sure would be sweet to have such a stats page for Defold :slight_smile: )

1 Like