Windows XP deployment

Since version 1.2.30 we support Windows Vista and up.
See release notes: http://www.defold.com/release-notes/1.2.30

@sicher, can you please update the FAQ to reflect this?

As I understand I have no chance to run game on win xp ? :cry:

1 Like

No, it seems that way :frowning:

That mean I have a troubles. :confused:

WinXP games distribute throught many arcade portals of puzzles, hiden object, arcades and others genres for “not hardcore ass” players. Sad to see dropped WinXP support. I try up this theme, maybe one powerfull king necromant ressurect this body )

1 Like

I think “support WinXP” in modern time is a killer feature of game engine )))

1 Like

The support was dropped quite a while ago (Q2-2014) and it was done for several reasons, mainly technical limitations (networking, thread pooling, high dpi support etc, @jakob.pogulis and @Andreas_Tadic knows more). We could perhaps have been able to maintain a fork of some kind or have alternative implementations for some of the missing features, but I doubt if it would have been worth it. If this is a show stopper for someone I sincerely apologise for not communicating the minimum requirements of the Defold engine in a better way.

3 Likes

Will be great to know minimum requirements for all platforms:
for example I can’t find IOS and Android min version or other requirements (win and mac, too)

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how recent those numbers are, and in what region they are referring to.

There are some numbers presented by Unity and Steam which suggest Win Xp support of ~9% and ~1% respectively.

Are there any other relevant pages with statistics out there?
(It sure would be sweet to have such a stats page for Defold :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Unity mines data using the Unity-authored games’ runtime. Naturally, when Unity removes support for certain platform (because 3D, DX12 and innovation), that platform becomes less present on their data reports.
Steam is impossible to grasp by desktop casual gamers. Because you have to pay for games there!

2 Likes

I will make sure that this information is collected, verified and communicated to you. This is what I’ve gathered in terms of minimum versions so far (I need to verify this as well):

Android 2.3 (API level 9)
iOS 5.1
Windows Vista
OSX 10.7

3 Likes

Android 2.3 (API level 9) confirmed. Game is running on an old HTC Desire (slow, but running):

5 Likes

WOW android 2.3 - it’s really good news!

@Mathias_Westerdahl I trying to get statistics links from publisher, but I’m not sure that he can share it.
But I agree with @Oleg_The_Evangelist :
it’s vicious circle - if I engine doesnt support OS well then percantage of this OS less.
And yes, steam is hardcore players platform. But our game is puzzle - not a steam format. We planned to publish game in other stores of developing countries like Brasiz, China etc (it’s not a one central store - it’s many stores different for every country - one more reason why publisher can’t provide links to this statistics)

I am digging through our premium subscription at Newzoo to get some research data as we speak.

1 Like

iOS 6.1.3 confirmed (I wasn’t able to get hold of anything older). Games are running on an old iPhone 4s (slow, but running):

4 Likes

Analytics from one of my flash game for portals.

3 Likes

Another GA (windows version) from my portal game (They are lots of chinese players with old PC):

and one more (typical for flash game portals):

3 Likes

I’d guess most people left using XP these days are in mainland China / businesses with business critical software which can’t upgrade. XP still has some 180m users globally. I’m curious which portals that are left want XP support? Can they share actual sales stats for XP?

1 Like

BTW, Chromebooks have started getting support for Android games and Defold works out of the box on the Dell Chromebook I tested on:

7 Likes