Windows builds now flashbombs users

2022-05-19 01_43_34-ScreenToGif - Editor

When opening an empty project for Windows a white screen flashes multiple times (it appears that multiple windows open quickly). We are getting complaints from users over this. Tested and it does happen with a blank project and with NE projects.

3 Likes

still present in 1.6.3.

this effect is very unnerving. i would hesitate to ship a game with defold over it, an ignorant user might think the application is running twice, or running something sussy in the background. :frowning: !

Hm, this is a two year old issue and I haven’t seen this mentioned since then. What device / platform are you running on?

hi. :slight_smile: i am using windows 10.

1 Like

Hm, it looks like the window is getting opened twice. Would you be willing to share the project with me?

1 Like

so far every project has exhibited this behavior, including the built-in tutorial projects.

1 Like

Ah, you are right. I honestly haven’t noticed it that much on the PC. Interesting! I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ve found the issue. It’s related to the current (old) version of GLFW that we are using that apparently re-creates the opengl context if certain settings are requested (that we rely on). As it happens to be, I am currently upgrading the GLFW version to the latest and it seems like the newer version don’t do this recreation so I’m hoping this problem will go away.

12 Likes

My antivirus (avast one) said something about opengl when I updated to the latest build today.

1 Like

Not enough people shipping games on PC with Defold to complain about this/they face issues like this that turn them off and they don’t say anything (chicken and egg problem with issues like this as @maybell demonstrated) + some of the big teams making PC games are also macOS only so they don’t experience it enough to complain + not everyone is detail orientated and may assume it’s just a debug version thing and not something impacting release users + entire Defold team using macOS for daily drivers. Only using macOS (last I knew that’s the case) makes team out of touch for both editor and engine. Like last time I used editor on macOS it was very evidently smoother feeling than on Windows (maybe the blame is JavaFX but then why use that if it’s not a solvable problem). I keep upgrading to newer PC builds and the Windows editor still has obvious feel issues that are jarring / big projects are stilly clunky evidently due to the way the editor handles state and doesn’t break processes into their own independent threads and for some reason this is more painful feeling on Windows.

Glad this is finally getting fixed!!! I tested a build just now and the flashbomb was still happening. So for 2+ years developers who chose Defold for PC games were forced to give their customers this horrible experience that made their games look unprofessional. And again because Defold team didn’t make an effort to test on Windows machines more they didn’t notice it enough to care to fix it.

I feel I need to be harsh to make a point! Can’t only use macOS just because it already feels nice! Need to force team to use Windows to know the pain points personally!

5 Likes

Yes, this is definitely part of the problem. If not enough people complain about a thing it will not get fixed. And maybe not even then, if it isn’t a showstopper.

We use macOS in our day to day job as game engine developers. This obviously includes using Defold daily to test fixes and features, but not on the scale of what a game developer does daily. We also use Windows while working on the console platforms, but again, when testing stuff we mostly don’t do it as game developers but as game engine developers.

We do also work on smaller game projects as a side business to use Defold as a game developer does, but it is no guarantee that we will have exactly the same experience as other developers and it doesn’t mean that we’ll notice the same problems or consider issues as severe.

I’ve seen this but I have quite frankly not considered it as severe as you

1 Like

I haven’t noticed this behavior myself, despite using Defold for a few years. Now that I actually look for it, the window does appear to flicker once on startup with default OpenGL settings. I have to agree with @britzl that this doesn’t seem to be a particularly severe issue, but I can see it being a problem if recurring complaints are happening.

…as a side note though, I used the Defold editor on Pop!OS for a few months, and the experience was far worse than any other platform. When creating a new component, the editor window would randomly shrink and parts of it would turn completely white, so I had to resize it every time. I enjoy the experience on Windows and Mac though.

2 Likes

Getting the editor to behave well on all kinds of Linux distros is a big challenge. We would like to improve this, but don’t know exactly how. I’ve said this before and I repeat it here again:

If there is someone in the community with experience working with development for Linux systems we’d love to get in touch. The Defold Foundation would be willing to pay someone to help improve the overall compatibility of the Defold editor on various distros and configurations.

2 Likes

This is strange. I use PopOS as my daily driver (and make games with Defold on it). And this definitely doesn’t happen to me.

The only editor issue I had is sometimes right-clicking an item will create a context menu, but it will be invisible. So I have to click outside of where the context menu would be and right-click the item again.

3 Likes

Still here, Defold 1.7.0, Windows 11

Yes we know the reason, it’s because of our glfw version. We are working on the update but no news yet

3 Likes

I hope this issue also related to the flickering on Android when renavigating to the app so that we can fix it once

No it’s not. Please open a separate issue with all the info (a video would be great).

1 Like