Will Defold support an official alternative language like Godot does?

At least we can get 10+ C# devs :smiley: (just for fun)

While it is doable, the effort to reverse engineer that will be magnitude higher…

Then that is better than I thought… I have no problem with C#, it is my first language, made UWP apps my self (also .NET Native/AOT) and I like the performance.

But when Mono, Xamarin founder and the man who advocated C# to Unity, himself says that C# for game development is his biggest mistake in his career and that he regrets. Is kind of alarming.

While it is still in the early stages and not ready for prime time, you may want to take a look at Static Hermes, a JS engine that can AOT compile to native code. It is an evolution of Hermes, an already impressive JS engine that AOT compiles to bytecode and is jitless.

This is a good talk about it here:

I made an initial POC with raylib, GitHub - thejustinwalsh/sh-raylib: raylib bindings for static hermes, but this repo may have attrophied as I have not kept up with head on the static hermes branch.

And finally the community thread: How to try Static Hermes · facebook/hermes · Discussion #1137 · GitHub

Initial typescript support is there but needs a little improvement.

C# seems like a more stable and complete implementation, and the ex-unity crowd is a welcome addition for sure.

When the APIs stablize for an additional community scripting language support, I would be happy to take a crack at bringing Typescript/Javascript along for the ride. Static Hermes essentially has a zero cost FFI, and I imagine the work required to get C# working and marshalling over a C ABI would allow me to quickly implement the static hermes bindings / support.

3 Likes

This is what we hope will happen too! The idea is to make it easier for others to create their own language bindings in a more integrated way.

3 Likes