Affinity Designer
Image Optim
Krita
Pico-8
Origami Studio
The whole Google Suite
Media Human Audio Converter

5 Likes

Affinity- thats why I use Krita with Affinty.

But Adobe does offer a full solutions sweet. I have used Photoshop since 2003 but when they went to a subscription model and that put me off. I do not like subscription services. I dont mind paying for software, but I do not like buying something and learning I never bought it.

Corel supposedly has a full suite but I have never checked them out.

2 Likes

what is origami studio?

Itā€™s a Facebook app to prototype UIs and interactions. It has a node approach (houdini, nuke) and I believe is Mac only.

2 Likes

Neat.

Iā€™m using Windows laptop and this is my toolbelt :smiley:

Defold - for game development
VS Code - for code editing (not all the time, sometimes I am pretty ok with just Defold :wink: )
Tiled - for tilemaps
Piskel - for pixel art drawing and animation
Audacity - simple sound manipulations
Tilesetter - used it few times for some fast tile sources
JuiceFX - used it few times to make grass/leaves animations
Pixel FX Designer - used it few times, but ended up with Defoldā€™s particle system :wink:

Bonus (being used on mobile too):
Pixel Studio - for pixel sketches
Google Drive/Sheets/Slides/Notes and Docs for documenting anything
ArcWeave - dialogs (earlier I was using Twine)

There is also an irreplaceable Ezgif and Later websites that help me to schedule and make gifs on social media and Honeycam and OBS recorders :smiley:

4 Likes

piskel is cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One more tool Iā€™ve been using recently (although I still need to integrate it properly with Defold) is this new map/level editor from one of the maker of Dead Cells

5 Likes

Do you need to know Haxe to use it?

Emmā€¦
For me, my budget is absolutely zero so I have to find creative ways to do things:

Defold - you know, this pretty kewl game engine
Musescore, Leshy SFMaker, and Polyphone (once in a while, LMMS) - music and sound effect generation
Audacity, TwistedWave, Online Convert - sound editing
Hecking MicroSoft Paint - Sprite generation (pixel art, I guess)
Paint Shop Pro 9 and Super Mario Bros. X - Things to do with making clear backgrounds and messing with alpha values that I canā€™t do in MS Paint
Krita - something I plan on using in the future
Google Docs and .txt documents - documentation and ideas and other funny things

I use a potato computer that has Windows 7 on it. :3

3 Likes

Checkout piskel! [https://www.piskelapp.com/](https://www.piskelapp.com/)

Its free easy and can be online or downloaded free.

4 Likes

Time to use piskel now~~

1 Like

Ive made a few hundred sprites on piskel and also used it for when teaching graphic arts to kids. I think youll love it.

3 Likes

Daily:

• Photoshop CS6: Painting for work or fun (games). Thank goodness I bought a CD when you still could.
  • Atom: Text editing. A bit bloated Iā€™d say, but it works.
  • ā€”Lite: (I wish) One of these days I will fork this and add multiple cursor support, at which point it would have all the features I need from atomā€¦in < 3MB!
  • Git Bash: As a terminal and some git command line stuff.
  • git-gui: Most of my basic git usage. Itā€™s not as pretty but has 90% of the features of other git GUIs, and itā€™s light enough that I can open and close it whenever I need it.
  • StrokesPlus (windows only :cry: ): Mouse gesture commands for my whole computer, any program, anytime. I mostly stick with the keyboard, but when I do use the mouse, this makes it 10x better. I never have to switch back-and-forth with the keyboard to do basic tasks: back, forward, new-tab, close-tab, minimize, maximize, close, switch-applications, etc.ā€”all without clicking tiny buttons, for file browsing, web browsing, or whatever.
  • Pen & Paper: (the physical stuff I mean) All my brainstorming, code planning, diagrams, etc.
  • (unnamed): A tiny timer program I made that pops up and interrupts me every 20 minutes to remind me to look out the window for a bit and give my eyeballs a break. :expressionless:

Semi-Regularly:

• Colorpicker: For normalized vector colors, RGB and HSV.
  • Multiviewer: For viewing a whole bunch of reference images at once. Was Defold, now Love2D.
  • Audacity: I really like it, though I donā€™t know how to do anything crazy. It makes sound editing feel like text editing to me. Select, cut, paste, delete, etc. The envelope tool is great for freeform volume editing.
  • Blender: Duh. For occasional game models, art mockups, rendering tests, or just fun.
  • Sketchup (a very old Google version): For me Blenderā€™s a bit slow and imprecise for quick architectural mockups (or plans for real-life projects).
  • ScreenToGif: For quick and easy short game recordings (or bug reports).

Windows 7 For Life! :muscle:

4 Likes

A fellow sketchup guy! Though their online and changes to pricing means I use an older version. VIACAD is very similar btw.

1 Like

What do you use Audacity for, and what donā€™t you like about it? (Aside from the Windows 3.1-looking guiā€¦)

I never use Audacity, but only because Iā€™m usually elbow-deep in some other more flexible DAW to begin with, no specific hate-on for it.

Depending on what you need to do, I might recommend www.ardour.org

1 Like

For my last game:

• Defold
  • Inkscape
  • Audacity
  • Gimp - mostly for the promo graphics & background image modifications
  • Davinci Resolve - creating the trailer
  • OBS Studio - great for screen capture on PC
  • XRecorder (Android app) - Screen recorder for saving gameplay clips for social media or the trailer
  • Bitbucket - git hosting
  • VS Code - website & random JS projects. I really like itā€™s Git integration, so I do a lot of my commits & stuff in the UI. It makes committing small sections of a file so much easier than doing it via command line.
  • Google Keep - misc notes & task checklists

Future game:

• Blender. Iā€™m re-learning 3D modeling. Back in college I used Maya to build 3D cars for the free racing sim Racer, so itā€™s fun to dust off those skills. Blender was really hard to use at the time, but itā€™s really nice now.

Past game that I still maintain in LibGDX:

• Android Studio
  • GDX Texture Packer
2 Likes

Donā€™t want to repeat tools named already so I only add two to the list

DirOpus - a file manager, the file manager (any former Amiga users here?). I probably use less than 1% of itā€™s features but thatā€™s so valuable to me already Iā€™d have a hard time living without it.

Beyond Compare - fantastic source/file/folder comparison/merge tool.

3 Likes

Yep yep yep, Iā€™m that old. At the time use to have fun with Amos, SEUCK, Blitz basic etc.

3 Likes

Do you run Atom as custom editor in Defold with ā€œ/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/MacOS/Atomā€? I tried it and Defold opens files in Atom but doesnā€™t activate Atomā€™s window for some reason.