Weird build fail on empty "desktop game" project

Hello,

Ive recently attempted to use defold to try and make some small games. Mainly for fun and in my free time.
Ive created a project with the “Desktop Game” preset and, without changing anything, trying to build and run the game will fail.
Im running Defold on kde neon, and ive installed it from the official website.
The error i get is:
/home/bery/.Defold/unpack/bda05b653c3535e54409907194175cf9b74a2b26/x86_64-linux/bin /dmengine: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Running defold through steam doesnt have this issue but for whatever reason i cannot import any images to the steam version.
If anyone can help me id be very greatfull.

Some device info:
Kernel: 5.15.0-57-generic
Shell: bash 5.1.16
DE: Plasma 5.26.5
CPU: Intel i7-4700MQ (8) @ 3.400GHz
GPU: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor
RAM: 8GB

Hi @bery !

Searching the forum gives you information about the missing library, and the solution is presented in this faq:

Since it’s running via Steam, I expect they provide their own version of the OpenAL library in the PATH variable.

1 Like

Thank you. It worked. I just had to run
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev

I found a way to import images to the steam version too:
Since dragging and dropping doesnt work i had to figure out that for whatever reason steam creates a fake /home directory so defold doesnt see my usual files .
Basically i just have to copy my pictures over to the directory /home/USERNAME/.var/app /com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam and it will work.

2 Likes

Flatpak versions of apps (like Steam) don’t automatically get access to your files. Apparently that extends to apps run through Steam too.

1 Like

Yeah i figured.