Untitled 3D Space Shooter

I wanted to see what pain points I could find with doing 3D in Defold, so I started on a small space shooter. No idea what about mechanics or theme, the goal is foremost to test out the workflow a bit. First wip with meatball textures:

space-game

22 Likes

Looks great! That camera angle is making me extremely uncomfortable for some reason though.

2 Likes

Thanks! What, really? :thinking: It’s a fixed 70 degrees tilt on the x-axis, not sure it’ll stay like that later on but we’ll see!

1 Like

Looking at the gif a few more times, I think my anxiety peaks as the pillar moves at the bottom-centre of the screen and blocks a significant part of the view, so maybe the angle in itself is not to blame.

1 Like

Cool! Do you plan to share the code for this at some point? I’m quite interested in the technique to do cast shadows. Last time I tried to research it, it was way over my head.

4 Likes

The forum supports uploading mp4s it’s a little faster than gifs!

Can you test enabling meshes for collision? :slight_smile:

Another you could test would be making it so particles can always face the camera. Billboard sprites.

2 Likes

@ross.grams: yeah, I’ll exctract bits and pieces into separate examples if there’s anything interesting. But I’ll put the project somewhere as well since I wont release it anyway :slight_smile:

@Pkeod: yeah, I’m on it!

6 Likes

Neat meat

4 Likes

Cool! Go for it.

2 Likes

Looks Great !!

2 Likes

Wow, it looks nice! Hope it won’t be complicated to make more then in 2D :smiley: Will there be new components in Defold for 3D purposes? Will there be a light component or is there a trick to create such shadows?

1 Like

Defold is already capable for doing things in 3D as it is, but it is a lot more involved math-wise than regular 2D so I guess it scares people off a bit. Also, there’s not that many example available with 3D rendering in Defold so a part of this little project is to see if I can help out a bit with that and release bits and pieces :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Looks very cool ! Can you share the project or code ? I want to know how do you implement shadow ? I have implemented shadow mapping , but it has some problems on some mobile.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I’ll extract the shadow stuff today and put it somewhere :slight_smile: I haven’t tested the shadows on mobile so I might have the same issues as you… What problems did you have with your implementation?

1 Like

Which method do you use ? shadow mapping or shadow volume ? I use shadow mapping. It would lead to 3d model rendering error.

4 Likes

This happens when model material has vertex space set to local. It seems to look right with vertex space set to world but I think that’s the old CPU way? Use world for game objects and local for high poly terrain?

If there is anyone on your team who is a blender pro and could make a Blender -> Defold process video with all of the things that should be done that would be helpful!

0 Likes

The editor doesnt transform on the GPU, do you get the same behaviour when running? Would you be able to share it or make a repro case?

The blunder expert would be @sven :slight_smile:

1 Like

In engine it’s fine no issues.

Repro is setup one model with default model material attached to a go, duplicate it and move it then rotate camera. If it matters the models I’m using are scaled by 10,10,10. Here is a sample open the “open me” collection and then rotate the editor’s camera to see the swapping of what’s drawn.

Editor3DModelIssue.zip (12.1 KB)

Any King technical artists who could coop with @sven to make a Blender<->Defold workflow video? :slight_smile:

1 Like