Unexpected Graphical Artefact (SOLVED)

Note: I’m working through the tutorials, so I have not created the images myself.

In some instances I seem to be getting a weird graphical artefact, like a think border around the image. I am currently seeing it on Magic Link with the magic blocks. The two images that make up the block and rotate have a border.

I can’t for the life of me work out what is causing it. I have compared with the completed project and everything seems to be correct (and that completed project wrks fine for me).

Does anyone have any idea?

Solved with the help of a friend at King that uses Defold.

The properties for the atlas were set at (0, 0, 0). The completed project has (0, 4, 0) and I found that (1, 2, 0) works.

Yes, “Extrude borders” is your friend! :smile:

For other ppl reading this: what is seen here is a visual artifact called “edge bleeding” where the edge pixels of neighbouring pixels in an atlas bleed into the image assigned to your sprite. The solution is to pad the edge of your atlas images with extra row(s) and column(s) of identical pixels. Luckily this can be done automatically by the atlas editor in Defold. Open your atlas and set the Extrude Borders value to 1. http://www.defold.com/faq#20

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!