Day 1 - Project setup and basic game framework
The game I’m doing is going to be a mix between Knife Hit, Sword Shot and maybe some RPG elements. Day 1 was mainly about setting up the project (GitHub repo), find some graphics to use and decide which extensions/libraries that could be helpful.
I decided to go for retro pixel art graphics. I want this for several reasons:
- I love the style and feel
- There’s a lot of free/cheap graphics out there
- I will be able to draw something reasonable on my own if I can’t find all the graphics I need
I decided to use 1-bit graphics (monochrome) mainly because it looks damn nice in Sword Shot (or well, Sword Shot uses more colors, but it sticks mainly to monochrome). I knew that itch.io has a few packs of 1-bit art, and I put them into a collection here. I bought the large 1700 asset pack and another smaller pack to make sure I have everything I need, and I got PixaTool included (could be useful for future games).
I decided on the following set of libraries to use:
- Defold-Orthographic - I needed a camera solution that allows me to easily follow the player character as well as set a fixed zoom.
- Defold-Input - For user input, tracking key states and reconfiguring keys (if I have time to add that as an option at the end)
- Monarch - Screen manager
- Lumiere - Render script wrapper that allows me to add posteffects. Not sure that I need it for this game though…
Game design and setup
I set up a game collection with a tilemap for the background and I created a player collection to house the visuals of the player as well as the player logic. There’s also a boss collection with factories to create the stuff that should circle the boss character. I’m thinking two types of things: 1) Shields that blocks player attacks and 2) Enemies that can damage the player. The Shields can’t be destroyed (or maybe later with weapons upgrades) but the Enemies can.
Start making the boss configurable.