Trouble with release builds and manifests

Hi!

I’m trying to set up my build scripts and I can’t seem to be able to get “real” release builds.

I have the following app manifest (generated with Manifestation) and I’m building with Bob with --variant release.

I encountered the following two issues:

1. On Linux, the game starts and, in the console (which I think should have been empty in a release build, if I recall correctly) it tells me that profiler started listening on port 8001 (which I could confirm), that sound device “default” got initialized and that there is no such socket named @physics, which gives me the impression that removing physics worked, but removing sound and profiler didn’t.

2) On Windows, the game starts, there’s no console output, there’s nothing listening on port 8001, but the game is still listening on port 9264. How can I make it not do that? I don’t want my users to get a Windows Firewall dialogue. EDIT: It was the FMOD Studio Live Update port that I forgot to disable.

On macOS, there’s no console output and nothing listening (apart from 9264, like above), as expected.

# App manifest generated Wed Nov 21 2018 00:05:32 GMT+0200 (Eastern European Standard Time)
# Settings: Physics2D,Physics3D,Record,Profiler,Facebook,Gameroom,Sound
platforms:
    x86_64-osx:
        context:
            excludeLibs: ["physics","LinearMath","BulletDynamics","BulletCollision","Box2D","record","vpx","profilerext","facebookext","sound","tremolo"]
            excludeSymbols: ["ProfilerExt","FacebookExt","DefaultSoundDevice","AudioDecoderWav","AudioDecoderStbVorbis","AudioDecoderTremolo"]
            libs: ["physics_null","record_null","sound_null"]
            linkFlags: []

x86_64-linux:
        context:
            excludeLibs: ["physics","LinearMath","BulletDynamics","BulletCollision","Box2D","record","vpx","profilerext","facebookext","sound","tremolo"]
            excludeSymbols: ["ProfilerExt","FacebookExt","DefaultSoundDevice","AudioDecoderWav","AudioDecoderStbVorbis","AudioDecoderTremolo"]

js-web:
        context:
            excludeJsLibs: ["facebook","facebook_iap"]

wasm-web:
        context:
            excludeJsLibs: ["facebook","facebook_iap"]

x86-win32:
        context:
            excludeLibs: ["libphysics","libLinearMath","libBulletDynamics","libBulletCollision","libBox2D","librecord","vpx","libprofilerext","libfacebookext.lib","gameroomext","libsound","libtremolo"]
            excludeSymbols: ["ProfilerExt","FacebookExt","GameroomExt","DefaultSoundDevice","AudioDecoderWav","AudioDecoderStbVorbis","AudioDecoderTremolo"]
            libs: ["libphysics_null.lib","librecord_null.lib","libsound_null.lib"]

x86_64-win32:
        context:
            excludeLibs: ["libphysics","libLinearMath","libBulletDynamics","libBulletCollision","libBox2D","librecord","vpx","libprofilerext","libfacebookext.lib","gameroomext","libsound","libtremolo"]
            excludeSymbols: ["ProfilerExt","FacebookExt","GameroomExt","DefaultSoundDevice","AudioDecoderWav","AudioDecoderStbVorbis","AudioDecoderTremolo"]
            libs: ["libphysics_null.lib","librecord_null.lib","libsound_null.lib"]

armv7-android:
        context:
            excludeJars: ["(.*)/facebooksdk.jar","(.*)/facebook_android.jar"]

armv7-ios:
        context:

arm64-ios:
        context:
1 Like

1a) I’ll check why the engine service (which is the one listening on 8001) is still active, and why the console is still outputting log messages.

1b) The “default” sound device is most likely just a poor message from our part. The printout comes from the engine which starts a sound device, but it doesn’t know that it starts the null device.

1. We have nothing that should listen on that port (9264) per se. Is this from a release bundled win32 build?

Yes. I used --variant release

I found what the deal with 9264 was. It’s the FMOD debug port. I think I forgot to turn that off in my game.project.

(Also, on macOS there is no profiling and no console output, as expected)

3 Likes