The Titled Story - metroidvania

(Disclaimer: English is our foreign language, so there will be some mistakes here and there. Hope you don’t mind and if you do, pointing them out will be appreciated)

Hi, everyone!
It’s about time to post something here. For now our team consists of three people. Two of us found out about Defold about half a year ago and for a few last months was developing platformer. We were inspired by some metroidvanias, mostly by “An untitled story”, and decided to create something on our own. We haven’t come up with the final name yet so the temporary name for our game is “The titled story”. It’s our first experience in game developing, so we are making mistakes, experimenting and learning new things on the go. In it’s current state it’s nothing special really, but hey, everyone can dream.

So the main idea behind the game is to encourage player to explore. It’s 2d platformer, so naturally it is in metroidvania genre. World consists of bunch of rooms, which will be separated by zones. Player must travel through these rooms by fighting enemies and overcoming obstacles in search of “key items” that will give him ability to explore even more rooms.We have in mind some leveling up system and loot system, kinda diablo like, to allow possibilities of different playstyles.

Our hero:

Right now game consists of only 9 rooms, which player should traverse to win. Enemies and obstacles will try to prevent him from doing this.

Enemies

There are two types of enemies hat-like spiders and slimes. Only difference between them now is that spiders can jump and slimes can’t.

Spiders:

Obstacles

There are also few types of obstacles. Not counting blocks and half-platforms(look like wooden plank, you can jump down from it by crouching), there are spikes, flying saws and moving platforms.

Most rooms (like this one) contain lots of obstacles and not so many enemies. That’s definitely subject to change, we are not making “I wanna be the guy” here, but now enemy interactions a little sketchy, so we didn’t focus much on them, when we were making these levels. Right now we still in phase of implementing core mechanics, so when we will be more settled on this, we are going to redo those levels to match those mechanics.

Checkpoints

Now game is short, but still, when you are trying to beat it for the first time, it can be rather difficult. There are checkpoints on levels to help with that. They work like any other checkpoints in games. When you die, you revive near checkpoint that you touched last. Blue dot on checkpoint turn yellow, when that checkpoint is considered “last touched”. Also checkpoints grant you important ability to teleport between those of them, that you already visited. That’s done by pressing number buttons. Each number corresponds to one of checkpoints. You can’t beat the game without using this ability.

Sword

While you explore the game, you will find the sword. When you pick it up you get ability to attack with it. With such ability you can defeat enemies and remove some obstacles, that perhaps were blocking your way.

Attack (Only if you have found the sword):

Our plans

Also we are going to make update posts approximately once a week and note what we want to do in the next week. We decided that that way it will be easier to keep our enthusiasm and maybe we even can get some useful feedback and advices.
So here is something we wish to do next:

• The most important thing to do is refactoring of our code and files. It’s needed to add more things into the game and to better understand how everything works.
  • Pause and maybe saving, so you wouldn’t have to select your checkpoint from the menu.
  • More convenient and sensible mechanic of sword swinging. And animation for it.
  • New mechanics like double jump, roll/dash, etc.
  • Sounds and music.
  • New sprites and tiles for more diverse environment.

Platforms: Windows, OSX, Linux, html5
You can try our game for yourself: https://thetitledstory.github.io/demo/
You can also download demo for Windows, OSX or Linux: https://github.com/TheTitledStory/demo-bundles

11 Likes

Cool! Best of luck guys!

2 Likes

Nice one, @Diskaut! Looking forward to the progress.

Feedback: The sword animation looks a bit unnatural – due to the linear movement of the blade, and the lack of movement in the body. I found this one a while ago, quite pedagogic:

Source: Pedro Medeiros (he’s made tons of these, by the way – super interesting)

10 Likes

Awesome! Can you tell your story of choosing Defold and learning it? Was it hard? =]

3 Likes

Last few weeks I play a lot in Rogue Legacy. I advise you to play it.
This game has a one trick (it is a “best practice” for every game) to make a collision shape on damage objects less than it is graphical. I mean that user should have possability to touch a spike or an enemy a little without any damage.
It will make players more happy (I will be happy 100%, because now I cant play after first checkpoint when I need to jump =)) )

4 Likes

Thank you all for your support and feedback.
@Axel, thanks a lot. As we said we want to improve sword mechanic and animation and I’m sure this gif will help us with it. Also thanks for the link to the author, his tutorial gifs are amazing.
@Oleg_The_Evangelist, thanks for the question. Half a year ago I wanted to start developing my first game and I thought about making it using Unity. But my mentor said that Defold and Cocos are better for developing 2d game. So I looked at these two engines and I just really liked Defold. I started with runner tutorial and after I finished it, my friend and I started to experiment and trying our own projects. It wasn’t too hard. Tutorials and documentations are very useful. But if we can’t find something there, we can always find it on this forum.
@AGulev - I thought about making collision shapes smaller a bit but to be honest I forgot about it because I beat our game many times and didn’t test it much on other players. We will change hitboxes for damage objects in the next update. Also I personally haven’t played Rogue Legacy but I know about it. I will definitely try it out.

4 Likes

This week wasn’t as productive as I hoped it would be but I wanted to post weekly, so here it is.
Firstly, what’s new:

• I made hitboxes for damage obstacles (spikes and saws) as small as I think they can be to still feel that they exist
  • I added pause if you press “P” while you are not in menu and “P” to unpause. Also while game is paused music become quieter.

(It’s a bit faster than it’s in game by the way)
  • I organized files in the project what made it more obvious where everything is. And I partially made code refactoring so now it is easier to read. But I didn’t finish it yet because it takes more time than I thought it would.

Not as much as we wanted to do but at least something. Also our artist was busy this week and couldn’t redo sword animation.

What we want to do next week:

• Everything what we wanted to do this week (if our artist will again be busy and I’ll have additional time I’ll probably try to redo sword animation myself). In the priority from this for me is to finish code refactoring, add new mechanics and fix mechanic of sword attack
  • I want to learn how I can add cutscenes (gif or video) into the game
  • Add health to hero and enemies
6 Likes

It’s time for weekly update.

This time I was a bit more effective but again I didn’t do everything I wanted. Maybe I should reduce a little the amount of what I want and I will increase it after I start doing everything from the list.

What was added:

• Our artist made new animation for the sword. It’s not ideal but it’s definitely better than the first one. What do you think?

• I finished code refactoring. Now it’s easier to add something new into the game.
  • So I added new artifact that gives you double jump after you take it like the sword gives you ability to attack.

I don’t know why but I couldn’t add the latest version of our game into the site. I will try to do it by myself for some more time and after I do it I will post here about it. But in case I am unsuccessful after few days I will ask for help in the forum.
So this is first thing I want to do next week. Also I want to make good mechanic for the sword finally and add health to hero and enimies.
I hope I can do everything this time and maybe I will have some time and add something else.

6 Likes

Weekly update.

Last week I wasn’t home and couldn’t do anything with the game.
This week I figured out why game didn’t work properly when I added it into github.io and how temporary fix it. So I added issue on github: https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/1086. To simply put when I change game.project, bundle html5 and add it into github it stops at 0 or 1 percents loading. But I have game.project from older version of my game and with it game works fine except I can’t change anything in this game.project.
I wasted too much time to find out why it didn’t work and didn’t work on something more important.
But after I realised that it is probably problem of the editor I did what I wanted 2 weeks ago.
###What’s new

• I changed a bit demo to add double jump into it
  • Our artist drew texture for double jump
  • I added health to hero. Now hero has 100 health and each damage to him is 50. So you can take damage twice before you die. Also checkpoints heal you to 100 health
  • I made sword’s hits better. So now sword kills enemies not hero while he is swinging sword
  • Also I fixed few small bugs. For example, before, if you started not from first checkpoint and reseted game with “R” it didn’t work as it was planned and now it does.
  • And I updated game at github, so you can now test new things for yourself and maybe tell what you think about it

Next week

1. Fix bug when jump near wall with height of one block because near them hero doen’t jump properly
  2. Make animations more comfortable
  3. After that add health to enemies
  4. Make loading screen nicer
4 Likes

Are you by any chance working on a Windows machine?

Probably related to: HTML5 doesn't loading from server

1 Like

Yes, it was because of line ending. Thanks a lot.
I forgot that it can be a problem because about a month ago and before that I was working in Defold on Ubuntu. That’s why it wasn’t the problem then. And I thought it has something to do with the last month’s changes in editor or my project.

Weekly update.

I think I can call this week productive. I made everything that I wanted from last week, except changing loading screen because I decided that it is unnecessary thing in the near future. Instead I added gamepad support but you have to use keyboard to teleport between checkpoints for now.

###What’s new

• Few small bugs fixed including bug when don’t jump properly when moving into wall with height of one block

(here is this bug)

• Added gamepad support except teleports between checkpoints
  • Menu changed from responding to mouse clicks to working without mouse. So now you switch between buttons in menu with arrows (also working with gamepad) or WASD
  • Sword animation is a bit easier to control now
  • Added health to enemies. They also have 100 health and damage from hero to them is 50 for now. So they like our hero have to take damage twice before they die

Next week

I will mostly work with GUIs next week. Firstly I want to add a map. And with that it will be full gamepad support. After that I will try to do something with health like adding health GUIs for enemies and change a bit hero’s health GUI.

###Also
If you want to try out latest version as I said in the last post you can try it here: https://thetitledstory.github.io/demo/
I update it every week before posting here.
I just found out that gamepad doesn’t working there. So if you want to try it out with gamepad or if maybe you have another reason you can download bundled game here: https://github.com/TheTitledStory/demo-bundles
Either way if you tried it out tell what you think about it. I appreciate every feedback.

3 Likes

I gave it a try and its unforgiving and challenging in a good way that reminds me of many old games on the C64. Small mistakes and you’re immediately punished. Some might not like this but I find it enjoyable.

1 Like

Weekly update.

This week I added minimap and changed a bit pause menu and health GUI for hero. Minimap was most difficult to make in this game so far because it has to show only levels where you have been and also include ability to teleport to checkpoints which you visited. I made it how I wanted it to be but for now it’s not dynamically created.

###What’s new

• Added minimap (to open/close use M or Tab). Minimap pauses game.
  • Changed pause menu. From pause menu you can open map or go to main menu now. Both map and pause can be closed with Esc or P (but only P opens pause menu).
  • Changed hero’s health GUI.

(here is all new things)

Next week

First of all I have to finally add saving into the game. Then I will try to make taking damage better. Something (not hero’s GUI) to see if hero or enemies took damage.

###Also

I want to make native extension for gamepad in html5 next week. I read about how to do it but I didn’t start doing it yet because I wanted to finish minimap first. I am not sure if I want final version of the game to have web version but I want to know how to make extension for Defold and gamepad in html5 can be helpful for some people. And for now web version of the game is the easiest way to show new things and if gamepad worked there it would be good.
And by the way I updated demo on the site and bundles for Windows, Linux and OSX on github.

6 Likes

Only just now noticed I wanna be the guy.

2 Likes

Weekly update.

This week I treated my eyes so I couldn’t spend too much time in front of computer. So I couldn’t do much with the game this week. But today I added saving into the game and that is atleast something.

###What’s new

• Added saving. When you go to main menu you game saves and you can continue from the last checkpoint you’ve touched.

• Fixed bug with pressing “M” while in pause menu (it was opening map without closing pause menu).

Next week

I want to finish native extension for gamepad in html5 first. I’m very upset that I couldn’t do it this week. Then I will finally improve taking damage for hero and enemies. Maybe I will add more but I don’t know yet how much time next week I will be treating my eyes so I won’t promise anything else.

###Also

What do you think about Continue button? Should I hide it if save file is empty or is it better how it is now (if you press Continue button it doesn’t do anything if save file is empty)? I can’t decide what is better.
And I updated demo on the site and bundles for Windows, Linux and OSX on github if you want to try last version.

5 Likes

I will probably redo all the levels soon so it won’t be only about jumping on platforms.

3 Likes

Weekly update.

This week I changed/added few small things including improved taking damage after I realised that it isn’t very hard to make hero blinking on taking damage. Also I didn’t have time to finish extension for gamepad but I will do it in the next few days for sure.

What’s new

• I found good-looking font and changed old font to new one in few places

Title

• I added sound button in settings in menu that mute/unmute music in game
  • Now continue button in main menu doesn’t show up if you have no save
  • Now when hero takes damage he is blinking while he is immune to any other damage. When you hit enemy it blinks one time (but it isn’t immune to any new damage) so now you see if you just damaged it

Next week

In the next few days I will finish extension for gamepad. After that I want to add few more levels and maybe first boss.

Also

If you want to try last version of the game I updated it on github.

4 Likes

“Weekly” update.

Study started so I’m not sure if I will update game every week. But I will add something good during every week or two.

Last version

What’s new

• I added energy to the hero and fast movement while holding “shift” that spends that energy. Not sure if I want it to be in the game in the end but for now I think it’s ok that it is.

• I added miniboss in level that is before last one. Nothing special just small slow slime that you can kill with 4 attacks of the sword. Mostly this boss was to try making arena for boss and not for making boss.

(only after making this gif I realised how bad this background is for this hero)

Next

Now I am working on changing map so it will be created while you are exploring the “world” and not just enable some premade guis. After that I want to make first version of tutorial/demo. For that I will redo all the “world” so I won’t be so challenging from the beginning.

Also

I still working on extension for gamepad in html5 but it is taking more time than I thought. So I’m not sure when I will finish it.

6 Likes