The Defold team is growing

We’re very happy to welcome @jhonny.goransson back to the Defold team! After our split from King into the Defold Foundation Jhonny remained at King and most recently helped King ship Crash Bandicoot: On the Run. Jhonny is now back on the Defold team full time and will initially focus on the Rive integration, specifically on efficient rendering of Rive artboards (scenes).

Jhonny is our resident rendering expert with many years of experience working with 3D rendering, real-time raytracing and computer graphics programming in general. His most recent contribution to Defold was the Vulkan backend and we look forward to sharing his work on the Rive integration later this year!

47 Likes

Welcome back @jhonny.goransson!

11 Likes

Defolders assemble!!!

14 Likes

Nice

5 Likes

Great news!

Looking forward to Defold’s future

6 Likes

That’s news I was waiting for! Shrinking the team was my only worry about going with the Foundation, happy we are getting back! Great to have you here @jhonny.goransson!

12 Likes

Yes, our goal is to build up a larger team again, but as always it all comes down to money in the end…

Seeing as Defold is and always will be a free product the Defold Foundation must fund development from the corporate partnerships. And the corporate partnerships will only happen if we have a good product with many users that create great games. We are in many ways starting from zero by moving from secure funding from one big company to your typical startup looking for investors. The difference in our case is that we hit the ground running with a good product with an existing user base, albeit a fairly small one if compared to the game engine giants out there.

But our promise to you, our users, is that if guys keep releasing great games and help us spread knowledge of Defold then we promise to do our outmost to give you a great engine and attract corporate partners.

Have a great weekend everyone! :heart:

30 Likes

Inspiring. Thanks @britzl. Looking forward to playing our part in this…

5 Likes

This is great to hear! We will strive to! :heart:

5 Likes

Thanks guys! I’m really happy to be back :slight_smile: I hope to tackle and improve our 3D support along the way!

26 Likes

This is so great to hear !!! Welcome back @jhonny.goransson :heart:

8 Likes

Great to see the team growing!! GO DEFOLD!

6 Likes