The Defold Foundation is awarded a grant from Grant for the Web

We are happy to announce that we have been awarded a grant from Grant for the Web to explore the use of Web Monetization in games.

Grant for the Web is a fund to boost open, fair, and inclusive standards and innovation in Web Monetization. It is backed by Coil, Mozilla and Creative Commons.

The Defold Foundation will use the grant to integrate, promote and support the use of Web Monetization in web games created using Defold. We will integrate Web Monetization through the Defold plugin system, promote it through examples and tutorials and host a game jam focused on Web Monetization.

The Web Monetization game jam, which will be hosted later this year, will have cash prizes, a jury consisting of well known names from the games industry and it will be open to all game developers and game engines.

Full press release here.

32 Likes

Great news! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes

WOW! Great news indeed!

3 Likes

I just love how Defold is progressing :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Congrats Defold team! Good news!

The question about The Web Monetization, I’m trying to understand, it’s just API / standard ? and I no found examples of implementing in games, want to know how that work, what available payment system work (paypal for example).

3 Likes

The Web Monetization API is a JavaScript browser API which allows the creation of a payment stream from the user agent to the website. Web Monetization is being proposed as a W3C standard at the Web Platform Incubator Community Group.

This is what we will solve :slight_smile:

It’s a very simple API. As a game developer you add a payment pointer (a unique url to an online wallet) to the meta data of your webpage. The proposed API will provide callbacks to you as a developer to notify you if a player has web monetization enabled in the browser (currently via a browser plugin).

The players stream micro payments for every second they play your game.

What you typically do with web monetized players is to not show them any ads, and possibly also offer them some in-game perks.

There’s a couple of payment systems already in place: https://help.coil.com/accounts/digital-wallets-payment-pointers

It’s up to you how you want to transfer the revenue, but usually it’s in USD, EUR or BTC.

5 Likes